Thread: What is meant by Free to Air

What is meant by Free to Air

Hi,,

I am sorry if i posted this in wrong section. While surfing on this forum i just came across this thread Can i watch free to air channels on Airtel DTH without recharge ? . Its interesting but i din't understood what is meant by Free TO Air ?

I know it is something about TV channels but what are Free to Air Channels ? Please help.

Re: What is meant by Free to Air

A Free to Air Satellite receiver refers to satellite receivers that are designed to receive unencrypted FTA satellite transmissions. FTA television and radio broadcasts are sent unencrypted and may be received via any suitable receiver. Free-to-view is, generally, available without subscription but is encoded and may be restricted geographically. Neither of these are pay-TV, which is an encrypted subscription service.The signal is typically encoded in an MPEG-2 video and may be restricted geographically. But in various parts of the world with encrypted digital terrestrial television channels it is broadcast on UHF or VHF bands.

Free-to-air TV continue to crumble down over the years, with the announcement that the TV channels will make their electronic program guides available to all manufacturers. The material necessary for you to enjoy the freebies are FTA receiver and a satellite dish in the details within the details provided by satellite would be required to to focus on. However, many satellites only require a standard DTV compliant dish that is easy in any satellite TV or electronic store can be found. Both c-band and the k-Band dishes work just fine. If you wish to channels of more than one satellite to receive, you will also need an antenna motor. And you will of course need LNBF.

Although these channels are freely described the viewers actually pay for them. What are paid directly by payment of a license fee (as in the case of the BBC) or voluntary donation, others indirectly by paying for consumer goods and services where part of the costs for television advertising and sponsorship is.Although targeting of the dish is not very difficult, many people would prefer an experienced person to be agile enough to rent it on the roof of the house to confirm. But perhaps before doing that, it would be advisable to search online resources might be a few Fta support websites and check the right to use the current FTA keys, files, software, updates and troubleshooting help to support.