View Poll Results: Do wearing headphones bad for our Brain ?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Please post reason)

13 56.52%
  • No (Please post reason )

10 43.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wearing headphones is bad for our Brain or so?

wearing headphones is bad for our Brain or so?

Is it true that wearing headphones is bad for our brain? Whats the reason behind this ?

re: wearing headphones is bad for our Brain or so?

Yes it is. Hearing damage from headphones is probably more common than from loudspeakers, because many people exploit the acoustic isolation by listening at higher volumes. Moreover, the risk of hearing damage from headphones is higher than with loudspeakers, even at comparable volumes, due to the close coupling of the transducers to the ears. One of the benefits of headphone listening is the ability to detect musical details. Any hearing damage would have substantial impact on that experience.

Two types of hearing damage can result from exposure to loud noise: sensineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Sensorineural hearing loss happens in the inner ear when high energy sound waves, rippling through ear fluid, overstimulate and kill hair cells. When hair cells for a band of frequencies are destroyed, those frequencies are no longer heard. In addition to being at the frontline of the cochleal sensor array, the high frequency hair cells are also the most sensitive. It is not surprising, then, that noise-induced hearing loss typically begins with the high frequencies in the 3kHz-6kHz range. Cochlear implants may improve hearing function in those cases, where the auditory nerve cells (that connect to the hair cells) are still intact.

If loud noise only damages the hair cells beyond their capacity to heal completely, then either hearing at certain frequencies will be diminished and/or the listener will suffer tinnitus, when the damaged cells fire continuously even though there is no real sound. Tinnitus is typically described as a persistent, loud buzz in the head at the frequency of the hearing damage. For some tinnitus sufferers, the buzz is very loud - 90dB or more - and can compromise the quality of life, not to mention completely ruin all ability to enjoy music. Diminished hearing can be corrected to a degree with hearing aids. Tinnitus is currently not curable, but there are treatments and devices to minimize its impact on the sufferer.

Yes, I agree with you. Here are some sound levels with its corresponding amount of maximum time allowed to hear. (according to EPA)

8 hours = 85 dBA
    4 hours = 90 dBA
    2 hours = 95 dBA
    1 hours = 100 dBA
    30 minutes = 105 dBA
    15 minutes = 110 dBA

Here we see that each increase of 5 in dBA value, the maximum time allowed to hear is decreased by half. So, use your headphones responsibly and take a good care of your ears, because they are precious sense-organs.
    Patience is a virtue

Headphones are a pair of small loudspeakers which are connected to a stereophonic, monophonic or binaural audio-frequency signal source such as an audio amplifier, radio or CD player and are used by putting on the ears. Using headphones at a sufficiently high volume level can cause temporary or permanent hearing impairment or deafness due to an effect called "masking.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

First off, Headphones don't cause brain damage, just like cell phones. But they can mess up your ears unless you play your music at a safe volume. Keeping it below 85 decibels keep your ears safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GusFraba View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. Here are some sound levels with its corresponding amount of maximum time allowed to hear. (according to EPA)

8 hours = 85 dBA
    4 hours = 90 dBA
    2 hours = 95 dBA
    1 hours = 100 dBA
    30 minutes = 105 dBA
    15 minutes = 110 dBA

Here we see that each increase of 5 in dBA value, the maximum time allowed to hear is decreased by half. So, use your headphones responsibly and take a good care of your ears, because they are precious sense-organs.
    According to Danish law, any worker working in places where the noise level is 85 dBA and above MUST wear some sort of hearing protection. This is mainly due to the fact that you'd have to work between age 18 and age 67 (retirement age) while keeping your limbs, hearing and sight intact.

so keep that volume at a responsible level (eg. talking level, which is 60dbA).

I can give a list:

10 dBA: leaves blowing in the wind
    20-40 dBA: a regular run-of-the-mill computer
    30-60 dBA: a server (like the big professional comany ones. My Dell poweredge server weighs in at about 55-65 dBA depending on temps and load)
    75-95 dBA: a car
    85 dBA: Here it starts damageing your hearing. Most MP3 players have a software limit at this level, ie. highest setting.
    ~ 100 dBA: a motorcycle, Harley Davidsons and choppers are louder than this.
    110 dBA: a rock concert
    120 dBA: a jet airplane taking off (props are louder)
    >200 dBA: a nuclear blast from 2 kms away. If you didn't burn to death, your eardrums would vaporize and even kill you because of the sheer sound pressure.

Wearing headphone for a long time is harmful for the ears. It is recommended that headphones must not be used for more than 30 minutes. Because when you wear headphones it blocks flow of air and which result in increase of bacteria. This bacteria grows at the rate of 700%. This result in paining or hearing loss. Other thing when you hear a fast music or high beat sound, the sound goes directly to your brain which hurts the fine tissues/membrane. This makes a person hyper and increase excitement.

Yeah....!!!

I agree with the fact that the head-phones if heard with very loud volume and for long hours definately affects our brains in a bad way. On the otherhand, head-phones when kept at a medium or low volume level to listen soft music relaxes our mind as well.

Hey,
    Is there is a way to check how headphones effect to brain?? and is there any treatment for this??

Please help me if anyone know information about this, because i'm doing a research on this...

I think it damages the ears more than the brain. When the volume is too loud, there's a good chance you might lose hearing either temporarily or with prolonged exposure you might become deaf.

There is no scientific proof that headphones is bad for brain. If there was one all the headphone manufacturers would shut down their factories. You can use headphones for 1-2 hours everyday at average volume level.

Re: wearing headphones is bad for our Brain or so?

I agree it is bad for ears until or unless the volume is less or medium..also in my case if I use head phones for more than 30 minutes I feel a headache...not sure how many of them feel..but if someone says it affects brain I won't agree that, as most of them says using mobiles will affect brain...so what they says is not to use any mobiles or headphones, etc....

Well TURNING VOLUME TOO HIGH is not good!!

No matter whether it is bad for our brain, just wear it as less as possible.

Oh! I thought talking directly is harm than using head phones. Nice message shared.

Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear By 700 times!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast