Thread: Best settings for aerial photography

Best settings for aerial photography

Hello good morning,
    I am unhappy with the results what am getting right now with my G10 the photos is a kind of blurred and the depth of field isn't great either.and i doubt that it must be issue with the setting.

took the attached snap with a shut speed of 1/160 and 7.1 F stop. So the depth of field was pretty fine. I recently shot with 1/500, but it's still issue with crisp.Me using auto focus and it has to shoot through the plexiglass window of the plane, but that shouldn't be a issue. The various auto focus modes confusing thing and I have no clue which would be the best for this type of work.

Thanks for help

Re: Best settings for aerial photography

Dude,photography includes any of the AUTO modes. The time value,aperture value,manual Mode. I am confused about your shutter scenario. but I think what you had was not fast enough. use larger aperture and higher ISO. which can manipulate a faster shutter.the movement of plane aides with IS. try tv mode and search around until you find a shutter that can stop movement if you are in air with the ISO to 800 or so.

Normally a zoom lens is normal for this kind of work, but may not bring you the best image quality.If you are taking pictures at altitudes above 500 feet then better go for a lens with a focal length of minimum 105mm to as much as 300mm. A slow speed film, ISO 50 or ISO 100 is best for daytime aerial photography. Fuji Velvia and Kodak VS are probably the best brands. A fast shutter speed of at least 1/500 sec. and a large aperature.

i think depth of field is not required. Fast shutter speeds are good enough Shoot at the largest aperture at which your lens is sharp. Avoid slow, inexpensive telephoto zooms. soar your ISO to allow fast shutter speeds if in use. For a professional f/2.8 zoom this normally means f/4 brings good outcome. For other lenses normally stopping them down two stops is ideal. this is an issue, an f/3.5 - 5.6 zoom may not be at its sharpest till f/8 or f/11, relegating you to a potentially dangerous longer shutter speed.