Thread: Your mobile phone can save you in emergency (General Tips)

Your mobile phone can save you in emergency (General Tips)

How many of us know that our mobile phone has a secret life of its own?

For me, a mobile phone is something I carry for emergency purposes, such as when I need to call for repairing a flat tire on the road, or when my children need to be picked up at school. I do not use text message, MP3, video recording, or playing games. On occasion I use the camera on my cell phone when I forgot to take the actual camera.

However, people had told me that a cell phone can do much more than what I have mentioned. This leads me to do some investigation to try to discover the secret life of a cell phone. After the research, I realize that I had live in a dark stone age forever! There are so many tricks and tips out there for advance cell phone users, but for average, fancy-free users like me, these seven important, top secret lives of your cell phone can save you one day, not to mention money.

1. Emergency Numbers.
    In the US, the emergency number is 911, but do you know that World Wide emergency number is 112? I have not heard of this number before. Dial 112 when you are out of your coverage area will connect you to an existing network, and establish emergency number for you.

2. Saving money on your 411.
    You can save money on dialing (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411, instead of dialing 411. Your carriers won't disclose this because they can't make money on you. I made a mistake on dialing 411 once, and it had cost me dearly. For four minutes that I was on the phone, it cost $5.95, this included a second of the actual talk time with the operator, and the rest is on hold.

3. Lock up your stolen/lost cell phone.
    If your cell phone was ever lost or got stolen, you can lock it up to avoid usage or selling it. By key in (*#06#); your phone will show its 15 digit serial numbers (IMEI). Write this numbers down and keep it safe, because this numbers are exclusively for your handset only. Notify your service carrier with this code, and your lost/stolen cell phone would be disabling, even if the SIM card was change.

4. Using your cell phone emergency battery power.
    Key these (*#3370#) will kick in your reserved emergency power, and your cell phone will return to its normal stage when re-charged. This, however, doesn't work on all phones. An option is pressed in another code (*#4720#) to see if it works for your handset. Be aware of the poor sound quality when using the codes.

5. Unlock your car door.
    If you have keyless entry with your car, then this might save you someday. Let's say that you lock your keys in the car, and you have a spare one at home. Call home, tell your rescuer to put the key by his/her mobile phone, press the unlock button while you hold your cell phone about a foot away from your door. It will unlock! This theory is debatable. Some say it works! Other say it isn't! Since I don't have the remote keyless entry in my car, I will have to leave it up to you to test it out.

6. Reveal private numbers.
    It is annoying when you don't know who call you on your cell phone. Well now you can press in (*#30#) to have the private numbers disclosed.

7. Short cut to switch between lines.
    You are on the phone with one person, and then another one calls. Instead of trying to find the switch button, you can just press and hold (#) to go back and forth between the two lines.

Re: Your mobile phone can save you in emergency (General Tips)

Hey thanks for the tips, but the battery power tip doesnt work with my cell phone, my mobile phone model is Nokia N70, does it supports my mobile or not?
    Athlon 64 3500 @ 2.42 Ghz WITH Asus A8V Deluxe
    Geforce 6800 Ultra & Audigy2
    1GB Corsair PC3700XMS TwinX
    2x74GB Raptors in raid 0
    Sony Dual Layer DVD RW
    Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU
    MX1000 laser mouse, Transparent case & Lots of pretty lights

curadebt_fees Guest

Re: Your mobile phone can save you in emergency (General Tips)

Yes, Mobile phone is a useful device and it can save ones life in emergency.