Thread: The Plans for the 1.55-Mile-High Skyscraper in, You Guessed It, Dubai

The Plans for the 1.55-Mile-High Skyscraper in, You Guessed It, Dubai

Forget the Skyscraper with 57 Swimming Pools because it's no longer going to be the highest skyscraper in the world. The new upcoming beast is this amazing 1.55-mile-high skyscraper planned for the Jumeirah City project in Dubai.

Apparently, three designs have been drawn up for the Jumeirah City project, one of which is the Dubai City Tower. Six separate buildings twisting themselves into a one and a half mile high skyscraper. Now, I am no engineer but I would have thought there are some practical difficulties to overcome, and according to Alastair Collins, of the International Council on Tall Buildings, building to that height is the “easy” part - “The hardest part is the servicing of the height: the transportation, power, water and waste disposal.”

Transportation issues will apparently be solved by a vertical bullet train. I have trouble making myself enter a standard elevator sometimes. Imagine a one-and-a-half mile tall, 125 mph elevator. I can feel the panic attack starting already…………..

One of the discussion themes for this year’s World Architecture Festival in Barcelona is “possibility and responsibility,” with regard to tall buildings. Certainly some of these stretch the boundaries of both. Rather surprisingly, only one of these mega-talls is on the list for discussion. I am certainly looking forward to reading their conclusions. The festival takes place 22-24 October.

gizmodo