Thread: Limited connection / Unidentified Network

Limited connection / Unidentified Network

I brought my laptop to a friends house and tried to connect my laptop to their wireless, however my friend did not know the password. I looked on my friends laptop to see if i could find the password in their settings however when i did i accidentally disconnected their internet and now i cannot get it back. I eventually found the password and tried to connect it but it just says "Limited connectivity" and it also says "Unidentified Network (BELL2XX)" What can i do now? Both our laptops are running Vista.

There are a few troubleshooting steps that you can try if you are encountering any of this problem. First of all, the reason for this issue is because your PC are unable to communicate with the modem, hence it cannot get any IP address from the modem at all. The problem could lies on these 3 things:-

• Faulty Network Cable
    • Network Card(NIC) issue
    • Modem Issue

So to check on this issue further you can try the steps below:-

First try to check you network cable, try to unplug and replug the cable from both end, the modem and the pc. Since the cause of this issue is because modem unable to communicate with PC there is a chance that your network cable/LAN cable or Ethernet cable is faulty. You can also try to disable and enable back your local area connection.

Go to your network and sharing center-> click under manage network connection located on the left hand side -> right click on Local Area Connection and disable it -> right click again to enable it back.
    You can also test it with a different pc(if you got), if using the same cable on different pc still get the same error, it could be due to your cable it self.

(Please make sure you remember on your login password before proceed) You can try to do a hard reset on the modem/router itself. Normally, at the back of the modem you can find a tiny hole says Reset. You need to find a pin or paper clip and press and hold for around 10 to 15 secs. Once you had done the hard reset, try again to plug to the PC and check whether the issue resolve or not. If it is resolved, you need to configure your modem/router again.

Quote Originally Posted by dpj13 View Post
    I brought my laptop to a friends house and tried to connect my laptop to their wireless, however my friend did not know the password. I looked on my friends laptop to see if i could find the password in their settings however when i did i accidentally disconnected their internet and now i cannot get it back. I eventually found the password and tried to connect it but it just says "Limited connectivity" and it also says "Unidentified Network (BELL2XX)" What can i do now? Both our laptops are running Vista.
    Hi dpj13,

I had a similar kind of problem and fixed it. I hope it works for you as well. It is not a very nice solution but hey, it works.

What I did was the following: I clicked the properties of the network connection that was causing the problem. Then I selected the properties of 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and entered an IP address myself, subnet mask, default gateway and the ip addresses of my ISP's DNS servers. That did the trick. Save your changes and you're ready.

good luck

Re: Limited connection / Unidentified Network

Here's a solution that worked for me. Easy and worth a try.
    1. Click Start.
    2. Right click Network
    3. Click Connections
    4. Right click "Local Connection" logo.
    5. Click Properties.
    6. Click Configure.
    7. Click Advanced.
    8. Select "Speed and Duplex" settings.
    9. In drop down select 10mpbs Half Duplex.
    10. Exit.

If you want to try a higher speed, go ahead. The fastest I could select and still connect was 10 Full Duplex.

Good luck...........