Thread: suspicious disk activity

suspicious disk activity

Hello. Just wondered if anyone can recommend a disk monitoring utility.

For the last week I have noticed the hard drive light flickering when nothing should be happening.

Today I found a suspicious .dll in the system folder (cfbbffacbaa9_z.dll) which arrived about a week back.

Process Explorer does not show me anything I haven't seen before either as a process or a service or svchost, Eset and antispyware do not pick anything up nor think the .dll is suspicious, and Process Monitor seems ok too, though I don't really know how to work that.

What I want is something that says 'ahh yes, don't worry, that disk activity you are presently seeing is simply the event log/a background process or something equally innocuous'.

What I don't want something that monitors my keystrokes, or tells me where I have been on the net. I is the only one that uses this machine. Do you know of any such friendly utilities as I describe please?

If you suspect adware/malware of some kind,
    You can get a free scan at the following, webroot

I do not remember how I /eliminated/ the problem either - it was a /long/ time ago.

Sometimes the system decides it wants to do something stupid and unnecessary and to do it it needs to access some file and just accessing that file - tiny as it may be and inoffensive as it may be (or totally the opposite) - can make the light blink. If that file were in RAM, the light presumably would not blink but the results of the "activity" might make it blink. (Sigh.)

What I like about TaskInfo is that (among countless other things) it shows ALL open files, /and/ everything running. If you set it for the shortest refresh interval, it /should/ show you the "something" that makes the red light blink, sooner or later (the tiny time windows involved may come into play so it may not display it until the 5th or 50th time it does its thing, for 1/200 of a second or whatever it is).

thank you Zachary

Big Fish, I have downloaded that - thank you, looks interesting

Mr Boo, ahh, right, hadn't thought of using the refresh option - I will give it a go if it happens again, thank you