Thread: Vista can't see XP files on home network

Vista can't see XP files on home network

I just purchased a Vista SP1 box to replace my old XP Pro SP3 box. Thinking I would keep the XP box to pull files once in a while, I put them both on my LinkSys router (wired ports).

Installed LLDT on the XP box and it shows up on the Vista Network.. great! However, when I click to connect to it, I get a message, "Cannot access the computer, check with an administrator of that server" (paraphrased).

I know it is setup properly, here's what I did.
    1. Both get IP from router, 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.
    2. I can Remote Desktop from my Vista into my XP box!
    3. I can access Vista files from the XP box. So, I've not played much with Vista Network Sharing, because that works.
    4. Even tried a crossover cable. No help.
    5. Turned OFF firewalls on both computers. No help.
    6. Saw a thread to install NetBeui, but not help also.

The only workaround I can think of is to Remote Desktop into the XP box and then "push" files over to the XP box. I'm really going crazy over this! What a pain.

If anyone can help, this is great kudo's! Why can't I see the XP files?

First off, make sure you are logging in as the admin on the XP machine, when you open up your network icon on your vista machine can you see the XP machine if not make sure you have the same workgroup name on both machines and run through the "setup home network wizard" on the xp machine. don't worry about making a CD if it asks. Then make sure that any file you want to share out on the XP machine is shared by right clicking on the file and enabling the sharing. Let me know how it goes. For ****s and gigles make sure you can ping the IPs' both ways.

Rammy
    Last edited by rammy; 20-05-2008 at 06:41 AM.

Admin - yes. Yes, I can see the computer from Vista, Network screen. Did the Network wizard several times, even used SYSDM.CPL (?). Files are shared with everyone.

You've got guts, Rammy. I think this is tough, a couple observations:

1. The message says "\\compname is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". This is not a server, just a XP Pro box. Why does this message state this.

2. I got a friends XP box and put it on my wireless network. It can see the Vista box, but not the XP bos (same results).

Anybody else have thoughts? It has me stumped. Mussel

When you go to your computer name is there a domain in there or workgroup? It sounds like that XP box belonged to a domain, change it to the same workgroup name as your other PC. Then check your TCP/IP stack to make sure there is no static DNS entries. Let me know

Vista Machine - On your vista machine, are you logged in as the admin or the default user account? I can see you getting that error message if you are not logged on as the admin on the vista machine.

XP Machine - When you go to your computer name is there a domain in there or workgroup? It sounds like that XP box maybe belonged to a domain, change it to the same workgroup name as your other PC. Then check your TCP/IP stack to make sure there is no static DNS entries. Let me know

I'm admin level on both comptuers. Also both are in the same workgroup. Another observation - although it states Workgroup: MUSSGROUP, each time I start Network Wizard, it defaults (or thinks) I want to be a "business computer".

Did I mention, another XP computer connected also cannot see the XP box? bizarre, isn't it.

Ok, so when you go to start > settings > network connections then on the left hand side you are clicking on setup home office or small network, it thinks you are a business computer?? The wizard should walk you through, once you get to choosing your internet connection pick "no"...I had the same issues with my vista until I ran through the wizard. I could ping and remote in, but could ot view it. Now I can!