Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 15-07-2014

Is it possible to map windows drive on Ubuntu

I am trying to map a windows 7 drive in Ubuntu. I have this new pc and I am new to it. Most of the system on the lan are using Windows 7. There are around 4 shared folders among which one belongs to me and I want to map that. Like in Windows 7 you can see that in My Computer and you can also place that on the desktop. I want to do the same thing for Ubuntu. But I am not able to find any utility for the same. I hope this is possible to do. What application to use.
Old 16-07-2014

Re: Is it possible to map windows drive on Ubuntu

It can be done through samba if you have this installed in your ubuntu system. You have to change the workgroup name so that it can read the files on your network and then you can hook the shared folder on your desktop. Just drag the same and a short will be created. And then you can access that whenever you want. Unless your system settings are not changed or modified manually. Just try dong this. You can find samba from software manager. You can also download and install that through terminal.
Old 17-07-2014

Re: Is it possible to map windows drive on Ubuntu

It is possible to mount the folder through ip address of the system. You will need samba configured on your system with default work group name that all are having. Just get the ip address. You have to go in run application. And you can type smb://192.0.0.0/sharedfolder. There 192.0.0.0 is the default ip address of your system. You can find that through ipconfig. Type the same and name of the shared folder. Next time when you click on that the folder will appear up and you can use it.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , ,