Thread: This computer system xxxxxx-xxxx is protected by a password authentication system.

This computer system xxxxxx-xxxx is protected by a password authentication system.

Hello TechArena Community,

I am a senior citizen and a "noobie". My grandson kept insisting that i really need to "get with it" (lol), that I really needed a computer.
    Frankly, i resisted because I was a little intimidated. After a recent visit from my grandson (he brought his computer with him) I was less intimidated than I thought. Actually, it was quite fun and I agree it would make my life easier. I was excited.

I was absolutely delighted when a packaged arrived yesterday from my grandson with a card and a computer. I followed the instructions and by golly I actually "hooked up" the computer, however, when I "powered on" the computer this is the message that I am seeing:

"This computer system xxxxxx-xxxx is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password. Please type in the primary or administrator password and press Enter"

I put in the password that my grandson gave me to place in the log in screen. This does not work.

My neighbor, who is a senior citizen too with a computer and a little more knowledgeable than myself, was unable to help me but was nice enough to let me borrow her computer. My neighbor, Marie's grandson told Marie to tell me that I should go to TechArena Forum. Marie insisted that unlike other forums, this is the best forum in the world. (She just got a new computer a month ago)

My grandson was deployed overseas last week, he can't help. Marie, although a "new computer genius", can't help me and her grandson lives in another state. I have no idea what to do. I can't seem to do anything and every time i turn on the computer I get this message. I maybe old and computer illiterate but I am computer smart enough to know "something is wrong."

So TechArena Community can you help? What is wrong and how can i fix this? Please anyone? I only have a couple of hours left. Marie needs to check her email. oh! Dell 1525 laptop.

Granny

Re: This computer system xxxxxx-xxxx is protected by a password authentication system.

First of all welcome to Techarena Forums. We appreciate that you have chosen TechArena Community for solving any issues that you are facing and we would really like to help our fellow members for sure. The message that you are getting is because of a BIOS password that was set earlier. Since the password that you are using is not working so, you will have to reset BIOS to defaults. This can be done from a jumper on the motherboard. Open the case and check on the motherboard for a BIOS battery, just remove it and then put it back after 5 minutes. This will reset your BIOS. Hope this helps
    My Rig:
    Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard - 14000 Rs.
    Graphic Card Ati Sapphire HD 4870 Card - 19000 Rs.
    Smps Corsair 750 Watts - 8200 Rs.
    Corsair Twin 2x 2048 - 8500c5ram (800mhz) - 3000 Rs.
    NZXT Zero Cabinet - 7500 Rs.
    Pentium Quad Core Q9300 Lga 775 Cpu - 12500 Rs.
    250 Gb Hdd Seagate sata - 2350 Rs.
    Dvd Writer Samsung 20x Ide/ Sata - 1500 Rs.