Thread: What are the common network utilities in Windows 7

What are the common network utilities in Windows 7

Windows 7 comes loaded with many common network utilities. One of them is ipconfig. Through which you can find out all the details about your pc ip. I had note down all the parameter and I am working on the same. I am new to networking and I am trying to learn the parameters. And I am not able to figure out what more are available. For example what if I want to find out the router information. Like locating ip of each device which is on the lan network.

Re: What are the common network utilities in Windows 7

There are many of them. But the one thing I recommend you is to use third party tools if you need a very effective output. Those tools can be give basic as well as advance software. There are ample of them. All you have to do is search for network monitoring software. That you can find online. This tools are easy to use and give you information about the pc on your lan. Like if you use IP inspector you list of all ip on your lan network.

You might be aware about the ping command. This one is the most common command that is used to find out response from a site or a server. Like if you have to find out whether a site is working or not then you just have to type ping google.com -t and hit enter. You can type ping and hit enter in cmd to get the list of all parameters you can use. The command come with many advance options and it is very helpful to get active session details.

I use tracert mostly. Because it help me to find out the information on the data packets. Like if you are opening up a website and it is very slow then you can run the tracert command to find out the destination of site. That means amount what all path the site pass and reach your pc. It is good for troubleshooting purpose. You can find out the details of routers which are in between. I have a few server that I use and use this command if I face connectivity problem.

Windows comes with lots of network commands which you can use to simply troubleshoot or to find out the issue with your pc. Along-with Ping you also have one command called as PathPing. It is good to find out the information about dropping packets. It happen that sometime your net is working fine, but still you are unable to get a good download speed. Through this you can find out which router in the path is dropping packets.

If you want to become expert in networking then you can try using Linux. It has more command than windows and there is more better way you can troubleshoot your lan issue. You can download a full pdf file from the web which has list of commands and the thing they can do. Like in windows and Linux you can use the net command to find out more information about your pc network.To find the pc on your lan you just have to type net view.