Thread: It is possible to benchmark windows LAN network

It is possible to benchmark windows LAN network

I have a project work to create a simple local area network for 4 pc. I had configured the pc on the same but the lan speed here is very low. When I move a file it is just around 3mb per second. I thought this will be more higher. It is really weird. I want to run a benchmarking test on the lan to find out what is the maximum speed I can get. I am also going to use the same network at my home. But I am not able to find the max speed.

Re: It is possible to benchmark windows LAN network

Slow lan speed can be due to various reason. You have to simply check the network drivers. Just update them on all the system. This will increase the transfer speed. It is possible that all 4 systems are not having even network adapter. Some might be having slow while some might be having fast. So that is the reason the speed differ. Try to move small files at a time so that you can get more effective speed on your system.

There are few apps available that you can run and find the issue. But it will not help if your network is slow. The issue can be also with the lan switch. I have one at my office and it is quiet old. Due to the switch we are getting more slow speed. We had replaced that and the speed is far better than before. So you also have to do the same thing. You have to see the switch and connectivity problem to find the reason behind slow speed.

If you only want to test the speed then you can try using LAN Speed Test. It is a very nice software that can help you to find out the maximum output of your system. I use to keep a track of speed on of lan network. It happens that even after having a good lan switch the transfer speed will be slow. There are number of different factors which are causing the issue. So just try out this software.

Benchmarking simply means stress testing. Through which you can find out how much the local network can perform. That you can do through manual copy paste also. There are ample of tools that can give you the exact results. Teracopy is one of them. It is good for local as well for lan transfer. You can load file and provide the destination. It will give you exact speed that your lan can provide.

For a high performance network transfer you need a really powerful switch. And also the cabling matters here a lot. If the cabling is poor or if it is very old then the speed can be slow and fluctuating. You can buy a good switch from the market.Buy a costly one don't go for cheap. If you are going to use the the lan on wifi then buy a powerful router. There are ample of them available online.

Download and install LANBench on your system. This is amazing tool that wil help you to get exact info about your lan network. it will also test the maximum speed you are getting and how to enhance the same. I am really impressed from this software. It is a small tool but really effective. You can get optimum output from the same. It also use less processor so that other applications can work well.

When I have to find which tool is going to give a standard transfer speed output then I go with LAN Speed Test (Lite). This tool is small but really effective and it gives you a nice output when it comes to file transfer. You can get a reasonable transfer speed on the same. Through this you can find the existing speed of your network. It is very accurate.