Thread: Is it necessary to have a active internet connection to use WD 2TB NAS

Is it necessary to have a active internet connection to use WD 2TB NAS

Does it require to have a active internet connection for a nas setup. I am having a WD 2TB drive. I had configured it on my lan network. For using cloud support on the same I will need internet, but for using it on lan does I require internet connection. When our work is over I turn off the modem. Will this affect the performance issue. I was going through the instruction guide which said I need a active connection to use it.

Re: Is it necessary to have a active internet connection to use WD 2TB NAS

There is no need to have a active internet connection for using a NAS setup. It just require lan connection. NAS works on lan if you are accessing it as a shared drive. Or you can try some other software like Free NAS. This also works in the same way.

NAS setup does not really need a internet connection unless you need a cloud support. For cloud to access the hard drive you will have to connect your device to internet. While if you are working on a lan network then there is no need to having a internet connection. You can just hook the hard drive on the network switch. That's all. NAS drive are performance drive which are designed to work 24x7. Recently I had purchased a NAS bay that has two slot of internet drive. I had connected two 2TB drive on that. So I have a 4TB space. If you buy a good NAS bay then everything is managed by it. There is no need to mess with any manual settings for the same. The bay works fine. Once connected I just have to configure it on the network. Instead of keeping it on DHCP I had configured the same on Static IP so that I can instantly access it. The drive is shared and use by 4 other people. 4TB space looks great enough. But I had not found any better output on the data transfer. This still remain low.

The data transfer speed depend on your lan network. If your network is slow then you will get poor speed. But if you have a high speed lan network then you can enjoy great speed. The Nas bay cannot do anything in that. The speed is on lan configuration.

The data transfer speed depend on your lan network. If your network is slow then you will get poor speed. But if you have a high speed lan network then you can enjoy great speed. The Nas bay cannot do anything in that. The speed is on lan configuration.

A NAS drive is like internal hard drive which we have in our system. It speed is determined on the basis of rpm. You can enjoy a good speed on that only if the rpm is height. But if it is lower then there is nothing you can do. Now if a regular 5400rpm drive is accessed by different people it will give you a bit slow speed. The drive will get more hotter. I had shared a entire pc for the this. I had installed FreeNas on that. It works well and allow a nice way of configuring Nas setup on your network. You can use yoru old pc for that. Just add a new hard drive and install FreeNas on it. Configure the drive for sharing and done. Nas bay are somehow costly I think. In a pc you can turn off the storage when not required.