Thread: Not able to communicate with Dell laptop on Windows LAN via Remote Desktop

Not able to communicate with Dell laptop on Windows LAN via Remote Desktop

I had done with all remote desktop settings. But still I am not able to communicate with a laptop which is on the lan network. I am really fedup with the settings and it does not looks to be working. I had enabled remote desktop on the laptop settings. But when I try to connect via ip address I am getting a error on the screen associated with some connectivity. What should I do ?

Re: Not able to communicate with Dell laptop on Windows LAN via Remote Desktop

Disable your firewall and then check back. Go in Control Panel and turn it of. If you are having a antivirus which has firewall try to disable the same for sometime and check back. I think that will be more helpful in fixing the issue.

Did you checked the settings properly. Just right click on my computer and click on Properties. In that go in the remote desktop settings and simply enable the same. You will need to tick on allow remote connection from other users. That is the important settings. If that is ticked then you can communicate. Or else some network security application is causing the block. For time being you can simply turn off the security app and then check back. This would be easy. But still if nothing works, then you might to modify the settings of work-group. You can try changing the same. Once you set the proper work-group settings just reboot your pc and then check back. Whichever system you are trying to connect on the lan network must be in the same work-group. Then you can try assigning a static ip to the system. Because if it is on automatic then you will face problem with connectivity. And when you keep it on static ip then that will do the job. I always use the lan connectivity via keeping everything on static ip. There are ample of third party remote desktop software which you can use on lan network instead of messing with windows settings.

If you just want to see the screen then you can use Lanvisor. This is a simple to use tool that offer you to see different screens. You just need to install the clients on each desktop.

I had gone with the same thing in Windows XP. I was able to connect all system except one which had XP SP3. I tried changing the work-group, added different IP address and other stuff. But nothing looked to be working well. Later on I went into services. Sometime the remote desktop service is affected or turned off due to which you are not able to use it. It is essential that you must turn it on or simply restart the service. That is more than enough to fix the issue. If that also does not work then last option left is to simply format the pc and install everything back from scratch. That will reset everything. Before that you can also move ahead with updating the lan driver of the system. You can download the latest one form your motherboard manufacturer's website. Just download and run the setup. But if nothing works then the only option left is to format your pc completely and install everything from scratch.