Thread: Missing schedule option of Windows Defender in Windows 8

Missing schedule option of Windows Defender in Windows 8

I love Windows Defender's features hence i am using it from past couple of years and was happy with the same. Recently i upgraded my system to new Windows 8. Everything is working fine but i now getting troubled with Windows Defender. I use to have several important work on this system,. but while doing the same Windows Defender pops up in between and starts scanning the system.

I remember When i was using Windows 7 i had schedule it to run only at night and hence i never faced any problem with this software but seems like there is no such scheduling option in Windows 8. I tried searching it all over the settings but dint found it anywhere.

Have you guys seen the Windows Defender scheduling option in Windows 8? If yes, please let me know where is it or else please provide me some alternate way of stopping the same to pop up during my work.

Thank you.

Re: Missing schedule option of Windows Defender in Windows 8

If you are not able to find the schedule option in Windows Defender, alternatively you can schedule it from Windows Scheduler. Yeah, that is simple. Just search for "Schedule tasks" and open the scheduler. You can bring up the search bar by pressing Windows key + W keys. Under Task Scheduler window select Windows Defender and schedule it according to your preference.

Wow, thank you very much for the help buddy. I wasn’t aware of this. Infact I found the task scheduler much better compared to earlier windows version. I did something extra then what you said above. Actually I did some changes also in its “idle conditions” which helped me to make Windows Defender scan the system only in Idle mode. I set it to start scan after 5 minutes of idle mode. Well, it does and that is very useful because it wont disturb you at all. Surprisingly, if the scanner is running and you came back to use the PC, scanner stops automatically. Thank you for making me know about this Task scheduler.

Hello Marg!Aret, Can you please tell me where and how did you found the Windows Defender in Task scheduler? Because I was also looking for a similar help and I tried searching it in scheduler, dint found anything about Defender.

Please provide me some help with the same.

It is right there in Scheduler. Here is the step by step process.
    • Open Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools Icon.
    • Click Task Scheduler and from the left pane click Task Schedule Library arrow
    • Click Microsoft arrow, click Windows option arrow.
    • Now you will find an option saying Windows Defender, click the same.
    • Here you will see few windows defender schedules on the top. Right click anyone of them and click properties.
    • Now click on Trigger tab and click 'New' button to create a new task.
    • Enter the day, time, date, etc and click OK.
    • Save the schedule by clicking on OK at Properties Window and you are done.