Thread: How to block DDOS attack on a small network

How to block DDOS attack on a small network

I think there is a DDOS attack on my company site. There is a extreme server load and the site is getting crashed. Ample of time I am getting page not found error. I first though the issue was with the internet. But the scene is different here. I had seen high network activity and not able to figure out the cause. Our network guys assume this to be some kind of DDOS attack. How to block this thing. I am not having a very large network. There are around 25 pc at one branch. And we are only having this issue at one place.

Re: How to block DDOS attack on a small network

Are you really sure that you are having this attack only on your network. I will recommend you to contact some security expert on the same who can help you more in dealing with the issue. He can probably properly guide how to prevent this kind of attacks.

This kind of attacks mostly occur on the ip address. That means someone outside is having the ip address of your private network. There are some set of tools which can cause the attack and bring your entire server down. To prevent that the first thing you can do is modify your IP address. So that the attackers has no direct information about our site or network. There are some different forms of attacks under this. The IP one is just the basic part here. Another thing that can beat this attack is having a proper load balancer. The load balancer just migrate the traffic to different data centers. So that a particular network here is not affected. But this solution works for bigger enterprise. For smaller network it can be costly. It is important that your network admin must not disclose any information associated your site or server to anyone. Sometime things are screwed by internal person only. The attacks mostly tries to consume your maximum bandwidth making your site/server slow. It is a common issue with many websites. Many ISP uses a new method of dealing with the attack. Which is IP spoofing. Your original ip is not reflected on the web. There are different ip address which changes constantly and the attackers fails to get your direct ip address. Contact your isp for the same.

This attack also affect the dns server. You will need to check that your dns server load. If that crosses the limit then you will face problem with the attack. Ensure that your dns server is protected behind proper security settings.

This kind of attacks are just on your system to create a bit issue with the site and server stuff. Somehow it is not reliable to continue your existing security settings once the attack is on the network. It is necessary that you must configure your ip settings once again to avoid the target. This are one of the most common attacks on the web that really cause great trouble. The thing you can do here is simply ban the ips from where you are getting the attack. You can find those details in your network settings. That would be simply more appropriate I think fixing the issue. Somehow technically it is really not impossible to handle the attack. You have to ensure that your network is properly secured or else this kind of issue will be constant. DDoS attacks are basically carried on large servers at the same time. So this is for sure that the attack is not only affecting you but there can be some people also facing the same kind of issue. Load balancer here does not stops the attack. It just migrate the coming traffic while the attack still remains constant as it is.

Just try to reconfigure your network settings. Ask your ISP to provide you different ip address and keep on changing them. So that the attacker does not get the straight way of affecting your network. I think that will be more appropriate here.