it locked my internet access on both xp and linux

i have a dr.web bootable cd iso

but i was wondering if formatting my hd would be the way to go

i would lose my data but then i would be safe

i would not use xp on that computer if i have to end up formatting my hd

i would use linux instead

any responses would be greatly appreciated

Re: win xp Fake Police virus

First of all I would recommend you to not click on any external links that is shown on your computer and immediately restart the computer and then boot with Safe Mode. At the desktop, click on Start and then search for system restore. You will have to select restore to an earlier time or restore system files and then continue, like 2 weeks before this malware infected your computer. Note that it might take longer for restoring the computer. After the restore is done, restart the computer and then download Malwarebytes Free and scan your pc just in case.

it locks my comp even in safe mode

so unless there is a external version of system restore available because i am not exactly sure when it was infected

it confused me at first because it had not been connected to the net or a usb connection for about 2 weeks

but the countdown had just started when i had turned it on

so my only option is to press the power button when loaded normally to make the virus think that the pc has been shut down then restore to the oldest possible restore date then follow your advice

(which i will anyway)

If the above solution doesnt work for you then you can also follow the below method on how to remove that fake virus:

1. First of all restart your computer and when you see the initial screen of the BIOS (white letters on black backgroud) keep pressing (not just holding but press-release-press-release) F8 key on your keyboard.
    2. After that try to press F8 continuously at this moment will show you Windows Advanced Startup menu.
    3. Now by using keyboard arrow key select “Safe Mode With Command Prompt” and press Enter.
    4. After then Windows has loaded, you’ll see Command prompt Window.
    5. Now you have to type explorer.exe there and press Enter. This will show your Desktop.
    6. After that you need to click on Start, then choose Run, type rstrui and click OK button.
    7. Now it will open try to “System Restore” application to you. Please restore your computer’s settings to two or three days back when your computer was still not infected.
    8. After the System Restore is finished, reboot your computer, and you should be able to see your Desktop now.
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

my original question still resides to be answered

because i now have the steps i need to take to fix it

but if it doesn't work...

would it just be easier to format the hard drive or would that even work???

because i can't access the net on that pc.

i am thinking that formatting the hard drive would be the easiest way to fix it but i not sure if i would be able to access the net after i re-install the os??

if i could get an answer to these questions and not more steps to fix it bcause i have them.

i was also wondering if formatting the hd would get rid of the virus??

because all the files i have on that pc can be found again i don't really care about them!!

Formatting the hard drive is the last choice to do and starting up with the fresh installation of Windows Operating System again. If the data doesnt concerns any importance then you could surely try the steps out first to eliminate the virus and even if it doesnt work, then you can completely start the formatting process. And to get the internet back after fresh installation, all you need to do is just install the internet drivers and put the proper details of the ISP in the LAN settings.

the reason i had no network access is because

get this

somehow the normal network card prongs got way bent out of shape

so i installed linux and added a new-ish working network card

so now i am fine