Thread: How to connect MyBook Duo Live 4TB External Hard dive on Cloud

How to connect MyBook Duo Live 4TB External Hard dive on Cloud

My uncle gave me his MyBook Duo Live Hard drive. I borrowed that for some couple of months. Du to 4TB storage it is a kind of ideal choice for backup. Another reason to take this drive is it offers a Cloud support to get files from where ever I want. Fortunately I am having great wifi network in my city. So there is less to worry about the bandwidth. What I need mostly is photos. Now there is no manual available. So I need help to connect it on my network and then configure cloud. I hope anyone can guide me easily. I am not so computer savvy.

Re: How to connect MyBook Duo Live 4TB External Hard dive on Cloud

It is easy. The first thing you have to do is connect MyBook Duo to your lan network. Just use a lan cable for that. Connect it directly on your network and then go in Network Places. When you turn the drive on the light will be Yellow. You have to wait until it is Green. In that you can see MyBook Duo. Right click on that and choose View device webpage. In a web browser you will get the IP address of the hard drive. Keep a record of that for reference. Now wait for some while until the drive initialize completely. Once it is done go to Settings > Update > Check for Update. It is better if you keep that on Auto. Once the firmware update is done go to WD Learning Center. Download the setup file and run it. It is a setup wizard that will guide for cloud connectivity of MyBook Duo Live.

I am having a question here. I was also willing to buy this. Now it offer a 4TB storage it is quiet more than enough. But does it requires a router. I had downloaded a manual from web that shows I have to connect the drive on the router to use it. And above you are saying that just hook it on the lan network. Are you missing something. I am not getting a appropriate answer for this. And if this works on LAN what about data protection. Everyone on the lan will be able to access it. That would not not fair. Is there any internal settings available to lock the access.

No there is no need of router. The person in first reply said correct. When you access the webpage access panel of MyBook Duo Live you can find under settings ample of options to protect your data. You can lock the hard drive and you can also created a limited number of users that will be only allowed to access content. What I like in MyBook Duo Live is affordable solution for large storage. The setup file that is provided on the first answer is just connection wizard. To create your own personal cloud you have to use WD2Go. This is another application that available for various platforms.

If anyone does not want to use it through software or web page there is one more thing you can try out. In Network Places you can find MyBook Duo Live. Right click on that and choose Install. It will add the device driver and it will be available as shared space. There is one limitation. Without registering your product, you are only allowed to use 66GB of space and once it is registered you get full access. This drive has many features. You configure remote access, mobile access and even web access. I found it really help for easy data backup and access.