Thread: "avast! WebRep has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension."

"avast! WebRep has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension."

I have installed free version of Avast in my system running windows 7 and for some unknown reason I keep getting an error message saying “"avast! WebRep has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension." Reloading the extension fixes the issue in my case but I want to know if I can get rid of this error message permanently. I am using chrome browser. Is there anyone who is facing the same error or might have overcome it??? I need to fix this as soon as possible, so a quick reply will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: "avast! WebRep has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension."

Have you tried repairing avast??? If you haven’t then you can try that now and revert back with the response you get. Just go to control panel > add remove program > select avast from the list > Right click on it and select uninstall > Select repair. Once repairing process gets completed make sure that you are rebooting your system.
    If repairing avast doesn’t make any difference in your case then you might have to uninstall and make clean installation of it.

Did you install recommended windows update for your windows 7 ??? Which version of chrome are you using? Is it the latest one???

I have Chrome Version 23.0.1271.95 m installed, it’s the latest. I have installed all recommended updates and my system is up to date. I had tried repairing avast quite a few times earlier but that wasn’t making any difference in my case.
    After your suggestion I have tried uninstalling and making clean installation of avast again but no avail. The same error message keeps recurring, what’s the cause of this issue?? Do you have any idea about it?? I can’t suspect anything in my case. I don’t have any other antivirus installed in my system, so there is no case of interference.

Did you found a fix for this issue?? I am getting same error message since last week, I did not had any issue with avast before. Even I have tried repairing and reinstalling avast but I don’t see any improvement. I have gone through many similar threads addressing this issue but I haven’t come across any solution yet. Currently I have disabled WebRep by going in to Additional Protection > Browser Protection > Settings > uncheck 'Enable WebRep' but I want to know if there is anything I can try out from my side for fixing this error permanently. Some people are simply suggesting me to reinstall windows. I don’t think there is any point in doing that. I will rather prefer uninstalling avast and switching to some other free antivirus.

Guys if this issue has started recurring suddenly in your case then its obvious some recent changes might have messed up something. If it is so then I think performing system restore will be a good idea. You can restore your system to a point when everything was working fine. Just make sure that you are going through the affected program list so that you can install requires applications later on. If you haven’t installed any application recently then I guess recent windows update might be the cause of this issue. To get rid of the recent windows update, system restore will really be a good option. Try it and post back if it helps, best of luck.

I was thinking of performing system restore but my problem is that my last restore point is 2 months older. I have gone through affected program list and there are dozens of applications and programs that I have installed since then. Rather than losing all those programs and reinstalling them later I will quit avast. In case you are aware of any other solution that I can try out further then please let me know, until then I don’t mind disabling WebRep.

Frankly speaking I had worst experience with free version of avast. I am not sure if was specific to free version as I had not tried paid version. Currently I have installed Microsoft security essential and my system is all good. No more error, no more warnings. If you all don’t mind then ill suggest you all to uninstall avast free and switch to Microsoft security essential. You all can get it for free if you have genuine version of windows installed. MSE is quite capable of protecting your system for any kind of antivirus and malware.