Thread: Is Microsoft Security Essentials compatible with Windows 8?

Is Microsoft Security Essentials compatible with Windows 8?

I am planning to install windows 8 in my system. Currently my system runs windows 7 and I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection. I want to know if Microsoft Security Essentials will work with windows 8 or not. Some of my friends are saying that it won’t work. They say that Microsoft Security Essentials is not compatible with Windows 8? Is that true???

Re: Is Microsoft Security Essentials compatible with Windows 8?

Yes it won’t work. Microsoft Security Essentials is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP only. If you still have a doubt then you can try installing it and find out on your own.

Actually Windows 8 comes preinstalled with Windows Defender. Windows Defender is capable of providing same kind of protection compared to Microsoft Security Essentials. So there is no need of installing Microsoft Security Essentials separately.
    On the other hand, if you are planning to install windows 8 then make sure that you are uninstalling MSE from your system before that, else you might face issue while installing windows 8.

I don’t know whether Microsoft Security Essentials is compatible with windows or not. However rather than installing MSE I will suggest you to install trail of any of these antivirus:
    1. AVG Free Anti-Virus
    2. avast! Free Antivirus
    3. Avira Free Antivirus

Just make sure that you are installing their latest versions.

You can install any compatible third party antivirus but make sure that you are disabling Windows Defender after installing them. It’s not recommended to run Windows Defender along with any other antivirus, if you do so you might face troubles because of their interferences. Frankly speaking Windows Defender is more than enough for protecting your system. I don’t think there is a need for installing any other antivirus. It provides real-time protection and can handle all kinds of viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. As Lucile has mentioned already, Windows Defender has same level of protection as that of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thanks guys but I have one more problem. I am not able to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from my system. I have tried uninstalling it from control panel but nothing happens when I select it from the list and click on “Uninstall”. What might be wrong in my case??? Is there any other way of uninstalling it??? Further help regarding this will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

No worries just go through the below article:
    How to manually uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1963 if you cannot uninstall it by using the Add or Remove Programs item
    You can try out the solution that has been mentioned there. In case you face any issues further you can feel free to ask, best of luck.