Thread: Avast Software Has Stopped Working or is in an Inconsistent State

Avast Software Has Stopped Working or is in an Inconsistent State

I had installed Avast in my laptop 3 months ago and everything was working fine but today something went wrong with it. Whenever I am trying to start i get an error message saying “"Avast Software Has Stopped Working or is in an Inconsistent State”. It further asks me to restart my laptop and restart Avast. I have tried doing that many times but I get the same error message after every restart. What should I do know?? Should I simply uninstall and reinstall it? Will that help?

re: Avast Software Has Stopped Working or is in an Inconsistent State

Rather than uninstalling and reinstalling it, I will suggest you to repair it first. For repairing Avast, open control panel > Add/remove program > avast > uninstall, and click on the repair option. Just make sure that you are rebooting your laptop after the repairing process. In case if that doesn’t makes any difference in your case then you can go ahead and reinstall Avast. Make sure that you are making clean installation of avast, simply uninstalling it from control panel might not work. You can download and install avast! Uninstall Utility for uninstalling avast completely and make clean installation of it later.

Repairing Avast was not making any difference in my case, I had tried repairing it a couple of times. Currently I’ve reinstalled avast again and i am not getting the same error but for some reason the Avast Script shield is not working. God knows what’s going wrong with avast since yesterday. I am thinking out uninstalling it completely and switching to some other antivirus now.

Before I suggest you anything, I want to know which version of avast you have installed??? Which version of windows you are running in your system??? Did you install any other antivirus after/before installing avast???
    Latest version of avast is 7, so in case you are having older version installed then you can switch to the latest one and cross check if issue persists.
    If you have any other antivirus installed in your system right now than uninstall the other ones, reboot your laptop and cross check if avast starts working fine.

I had downloaded and installed avast 7 and I have installed the same in my system again. I have gone through avast official site and it seems as if they haven’t come up with another updated version yet. Recently I had installed MSE for testing purpose but since it was messing up with avast I had uninstall it from my system. It seems as if there is something wrong in my system but I am not able to make out what. As far as I can guess, problems with avast started after my system installed some windows update, I don’t suspect anything else that might have messed up thing’s.

You should have mentioned that earlier, if it was because o windows update then a simple system restore would have helped you out. Anyways you can try performing system restore now as well, just make sure that you are restoring your system to a point when avast was working fine. If you might have installed important programs after the last restore point then you can make a note of them from the affected program list so as to reinstall them later.

Re: Avast Software Has Stopped Working or is in an Inconsistent State

My last restore point is 2 months ago and since then I have installed many programs. I have gone through the affected program list and there are many important programs that will be getting updated.
    So rather than performing system restore I better uninstall avast and will switch to some other antivirus.