Thread: Filezilla Error 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP

Filezilla Error 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP

He guys, i am looking for an urgent help from you all. I trying to download some files from my host server using this FTP client (Filezilla). As there are over 1200 files, for the first hour it worked great without loosing the connection for a single time but now it is just not able to connect the server. Every time it tries connecting, ends up with an error message saying the following in Red color:

"Response: 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP"

I even tried restarting filezilla but still the same problem. Just wont connect the server any more. What 8 connections is it talking about? From where can i kill the connection? Please help soon.

Re: Filezilla Error 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP

It is a well known problem with most of the servers. Actually that error message appears due to restrictions of your server with which you are using the FTP. If you have direct access to your server you will need to increase the FTP limit so that Filezilla can continue its work easily. And if not, then simply click Menu, open Site Manager and set limit to 4 or 6 so that filezilla will not try connections more than that, and hence your server will not break the connection for the FTP. For more info on this, better talk to your server guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    If you have direct access to your server you will need to increase the FTP limit so that Filezilla can continue its work easily. And if not, then simply click Menu, open Site Manager and set limit to 4 or 6 so that filezilla will not try connections more than that, and hence your server will not break the connection for the FTP. For more info on this, better talk to your server guy.
    This is a shared server, hence i dont have access to the same directly. Hence i would like to make the required changes here itself in filezilla. However, i tried doing what you said to do in Sitemanager but seems like i dont understand properly. Can you please explain me in details what exactly i have to do to increase the limits?

Alright, here is the step by step process for doing the same:
    • Launch Filezilla, go to File menu and click Site Manager
    • In the open window you need to create a new entry for your server. Fill up the proper details in the field provided.
    • Once done, click on 'Transfer Settings' tab
    • Here check mark the box for 'Limit number of simultaneous connections'.
    • Now put number less than 6 and bigger than 1 into the 'Maximum number of connections' field. This will be the maximum number of limit Filezilla will try to attempt.

Thats it. You are done.

Thank you very much for the help Homer, that was really very helpful. I limited my connection to 4 and since then I didn’t faced any problem.

Help appreciated.

You can also go under Edit>>>Settings>>Transfers and set the maximum Downloads and Uploads. This is a global setting so it applies to each new connection...