Thread: What is FBI Moneypak

What is FBI Moneypak

I got a popup on my screen. There is a FBI website which says that my pc is locked. On the right side there is a moneypak logo with some box to add a code and amount. This is a bit weird. Because FBI would never ask money to give lock codes. They are government agency, which will take action if they want. I searched on web and found that this is a virus. I am using Microsoft Defender. There is no other antivirus installed. It is not detected as a suspicious file. Can anyone has detailed information on the same.

Re: What is FBI Moneypak

It is a virus. Do not click on anything. It is some kind of flash file. It is entirely fake. You can simply close that and download a free or trail edition of any popular antivirus. Just can your system with that and see whether it is removed or not. There are tons of fake websites designed like which are launched to trap users. Moneypak is a service which are like prepaid credit card used to buy stuff from shops. Never use it. Scan your system in safe mode for virus infections and then check back. If you are getting constant popup then the virus has entered in my system. Your system might be locked. You can forcefully restart or terminate the process through task manager.

Even I saw the same. It is a malware and distributed over the web. It is doubtful that how does this virus entered my system even when my antivirus is on. I am using a free edition of AVG. I am planing to buy a license copy of Norton and hope that this kind of threats can stay away. I use my laptop for banking transactions and this would be suspicious enough to reformat and re-install everything from scratch.

Those are fake things. Just close it. It is a malware and you need a good anti-malware for your system. It will help you to scan your system. Malwarebytes Antimalware is one of them. You can download this and use it with your existing antivirus also. It is one of the best option to keep your system protection. Also you must not rely only on Microsoft Defender. It is recommended to get a license version of any popular antivirus. Scanning under safe mode offers you a much cleaner way to deal with this kind of virus. But if still you are getting the popup you have to backup your data and format the system.

This malware are quiet nasty. It is not easy to get rid of them. I was infected with a malware recently which constantly redirects me to some other website. I was quiet fedup with that. Even that antivirus is useless for this kind of infection. At last after formatting things went back to normal.