Thread: What does Remote Code Execution means

What does Remote Code Execution means

I am learning a bit about virus and security risk. A number of time I had seen this term called as Remote Code Execution. I am not able to figure out what does this actually means. It looks a bit complicated to figure out. Does this is some type of script which is used to spread virus.

Re: What does Remote Code Execution means

You can find a better explanation on that on Wikipedia. It has a quiet large article on Remote Code Execution. This is some what a command which is send by the attacker to remote machine.

These things are carried out by attackers by taking benefits from security holes.

This is not a script. It is a kind of attackers choice where he tries to contact a system and execute a code. You might have a heard about number of vulnerability appeared in IE and other browser stuff. That is one we are talking about. This is used to exploit host machine and perform number of non social activities. A number of software comes with bugs. They are not completely secure. So that attackers uses them to execute more codes or run commands to gain more access.

There is a risk of getting your computer open to attackers. They can capture your data or simply use your machine to spread more virus around the world. The most common example that I can give you is of malware. A malware has ability to download more files like itself which spread in the network. The attacker mostly try to control your system and perform a number of activities without the owners consent. This is mostly done through a program or application. They have open bugs which are responsible for giving access to any stranger. If you take a course in ethical hacking from reputed institution I am sure you will get a better idea on the same. There are some complicated process involved in this and it is quiet not easy to understand in less time.

It is a complicated term. There are number of examples on web that can guide you about this. In simple sentence I can tell you just this. Under this attack the attacker can simply take control of your computer.

Remote Code Execution has many faces. It is not just done by a malware. Even a web page is capable of doing that. That is the reason we are always warned to visit vulnerable website. The code is injected in the site page, which loads on your browser and if that browser has a bug or hole, the script plays the game. It gives a open access to the attacker who tries to copy your data or capture sensitive information. Today this has became a bit tough to perform. Before there were more vulnerable systems. But as many number users had faced this issue, it has became complicated day by day.

There are number of informative videos on YouTube which shows you how this actually work. Never ever try to do this on your own or you can risk your security. Remote Code Execution and virus are two different things. They are associated but Remote Code Execution is entirely different. It does not need a host to perform action. It can be transformed in number of ways and the attack can be carried out. The only thing it needs is a bug in software that you are using. Either it is a browser or application or game, etc.

In one word it is a bug. If your browser has bug then the attacker can try to hack your computer. It can operate your system through complex commands which no average user can catch.

Remote Code Execution takes out benefit from bugs and vulnerability. The attacker here has options to connect to your system. That is the reason we are always recommended to keep your system upto date. Updates removes such holes when detected. Nothing is 100% secure. Sometime this vulnerability appears if you try to use third party services in your system. Sometime the drivers files comes with the same. Remote Code Execution is a complicated process and needs open support from both client and attackers side.

It is found that major changes today had made this thing almost impossible. But still from users end somehow due to improper practice the pc becomes more vulnerable. Like if you install pirated OS, software, games, etc. You are more prone to such kind of attacks. So it is recommended that you must keep your system updated and avoid pirated applications. A number of new antivirus are capable of protecting your system from such stuff.

I thought that was some kind of virus. It is a bit complicated to understand this kind of fundamentals in security. I was known to malicious code that appears mostly in number of viruses.

Malicious code appears in pirated in software also. You might have commonly seen active x updation error or some popup showing you virus threat. You must avoid those stuff. They insert a malicious code through fake applications. A malicious code consist of various things. It is not at all easy to detect. It is recommended that when you are downloading files from attachment you must use the https gateway only as they are quiet secure.

You must not trust any website for downloads. Somehow malicious code can enter easily which act as a bridge to virus files. They can perform remote activity and may take your system admin access.

I hope new antivirus as capable of tackling this stuff. As a end user we cannot put much brain on all this stuff. I had never seen this kind of issues before, it looks you are guys are talking on quiet older stuff of vulnerability.