Thread: How to shutdown a network pc

How to shutdown a network pc

I have a round 8 systems at my office. They are configured on Windows Server. I do not have admin access to the server, but I can make changes to the pc. That is the reason I cannot configure Remote Desktop on server. I need some way by which I can shutdown the pc through my pc. Is there a way to do that. Thanks.

Re: How to shutdown a network pc

According to me Remote desktop is one of the best thing you can go for. I am not sure about any other application. But using Remote Desktop you can simply shutdown or makes changes to any computer. It works very well.

I had tested it out. Ask your network admin to provide you temporary login access in server so that you can configure Remote Connectivity.

I have a simple process for that. You can use the Shutdown command in cmd for this. You do not need to make any changes on Windows server nor you will need any kind of application for it. For that first run CMD under administrator account. Then to find some info on the shutdown command type shutdown /? and hit enter. You will see a list of commands on the screen. You will need shutdown.exe for that. This is a remote shutdown tool by Microsoft for Windows. You can run that through CMD or RUN box.

In cmd type shutdown /s /m typethenameofcomputer and hit enter. The remote pc will turn off. Or simply type shutdown -i and hit enter. A window will appear. In that click on Add to add computers from the network. You can add as many as you want. All you need to do is enable remote connectivity on every systems in the network. Once you had add the computer set the time and warning message you want. Click on OK and done. The remote computer will shutdown in the prescribe time. It is the simplest and easiest way to shutdown a remote computer instantly.

I have around 4 PC at my office. I had configured Teamviewer on them. When I am out I login on each of them one by one and turn of my systems. It worked well without issue. I hope you can try this out also.

There is small app called as AutoShutdown. This app can turn off your computer at a prescribed time. You just need to configure the same. It also has other features like Logout, Hibernate, Standby, etc. This works well and nicely. The download size of this app is just around 432kb. You can add this in each of your computer and set a time of 8 to 10 hrs. The computer will turn of within given time. It is a reliable application and you do not need to sit back to wait and watch that this will work or not.

It works in system tray hidden. You can hide the icon also so that no one can simply make changes to it. I had used shutdown -m \\computername in cmd. It worked well, but if the computer is not the same workgroup or if there is no remote settings configured then this command does not works. You need to check the settings first before using CMD. There is another very nice application called as Input Director. You have to install one at your system and other on all computers. Add yourself as Master and other system as Slave. You have to add them one by one in the tool. Once you are connected you can control the other systems with your keyboard and mouse.

Do not go for Input Director. This is a bit complicated application and it is recommended for those who love to work on two system at a time. The application provide you to use your mouse and keyboard on other computer. But you cannot see their screens.

There are many remote control apps that you can go for. One of them is RCL. This app offers you a easy remote connectivity. It is a very basic app and easy to use. You can use this to restart, logout or shutdown a number of computers. It works well and it is easy to configure also. The app provides you a feature to disable the lan support also. I am also using Teameviewer. This is only recommended for a single or dual pc. You have to keep your system configured on the same. Then only it works. For multiple systems you can try LogMeIn also. This app is very easy to use.

It provides you simple connectivity with number of options. It is more like a professional tool that will guide you to sync devices and even download files easily. I like this software because it provides a drag and drop feature through which I can simply get a file from anywhere. The ap is free to use and there is a pro account for those who need advance features.

Try VNC. There are number of tools for that. I am using TightVNC. There are applications like RealVNC, UltraVNC, etc. You choose any of them. They work in more simple way offer you easy option to control and manage your distant pc. This type of apps are best recommended for office purpose. As it offer you a simple way of controlling your system. The reason to use TightVNC is that it is free for use. You do not need to pay for any commercial license.

I am using RealVNC. This app has a feature by which I can control my system through mobile or tablets. This app is made for professional purpose only. You can buy a Android viewer also. I am using this on my tablet pc through which I can simply configure my system easily. I am using this from long time. TightVNC is free but it is recommended for basic usage only. You need some advance tools to manage a number of different stuff.

You have to install the setup on each and every system which works in the background. Somehow RealVNC only has option to work on your system through mobile platform. If you are not willing to pay for a commercial tool then there are free alternative also.

Windows shutdown.exe is much better. It has certain commands that you have to learn properly. You do not need to rely on any third party tools. Somehow remote desktop offers you to work with additional options like controlling your pc and performing maintenance task while shutdown.exe is just to turn off your system.