Thread: Is it possible to embed a virus in hardware

Is it possible to embed a virus in hardware

I am studying on certain security aspect of computers. Here the virus normally effect through software's. You get a email attachment manifested with malware or Trojan. Now in future as technology is expanding, does it is possible to have a virus inside hardware. I am talking about a virus hardware like a small chip on your motherboard, that can sniff your data. This would be not at all possible to remove. Today manufacturers blindly add certain chips on PC board without checking the involved vulnerability.

Re: Is it possible to embed a virus in hardware

That is not yet possible. Software level infection are most common today. You can get easily infected through games, updates, pirated software, email, etc. But on hardware level this is very smart thinking and someone has to plant the chip at production level.

There is no information on that yet available. Neither any one has complaint that they got a virus which comes from a motherboard chip. It is possible. A motherboard is produced in a different country. If a establish manufacturer is in USA, he does not setup production factory in this country. To reduce the cost, they go for cheaper alternative. A country where they get cheaper labor and resources. That is the reason a number of manufacturing is done through China and other related countries. In a virus spreading scenario, a hacker makes a fake app or some kind script which is distributed in number of forms.

But if the same guy has to add that virus on a hardware, he has to reach that place. Or he has to be some important guy in the production process. This does not looks possible. Compared to branded products, if you go for cheap alien products then a virus can be inside your system till entire life. Like China phones. This phones have no valid IMEI number and they are made through alien companies. No one knows about them. They might contain a chip inside them which can sniff your activities.

I never though that. Recently my friend purchase a ultra portable laptop from some different country. There is no name on it. I had tried to find the drivers but cannot locate the official site. They can come with some embedded vulnerability which no antivirus can remove.

Mostly malware are used to sniff your confidential information. It can capture your transaction, credit card info, etc. So to some extent it is recommended to genuine products only. I had seen some articles on the web which says that there are people who are planing to add a virus inside the chip of motherboard. This chip will activate backdoor which will put your content on web. This gives a hacker very easy way to enter inside your system. As this is no software level threat, the virus remains inside forever.

It is not all possible for a user to detect and remove the chip manually. That can be the bios or any additional one. Somehow this looks like that attackers are becoming more smarter. So in future instead of formatting we have to throw our computers in garbage to get rid of virus. That is quiet a great loss.