Thread: Cannot connect to remote desktop from outside of network

Cannot connect to remote desktop from outside of network

How to setup a remote desktop setup from outside network. Like I am having a Windows server at my home. Another one is at the office. At my home, there are around 2 desktop and a laptop which shares Internet connection along with some media files. I want some option through which I can connect to home server through my office. When made some manual setup buy allowing a connection through router port, but that did not worked at all.

I need some help for the same. When I try to connect through existing Remote Desktop Connection of Windows it does not respond on the same.

Re: Cannot connect to remote desktop from outside of network

It looks that the security application in your system is blocking it. You have to check your firewall and router status also. You need to add a separate port so that you can access the computer from anywhere outside. I am sure you can do that very easily. Do one thing disable your antivirus and firewall and test that out. If that works then you have to add the incoming port in exception list.

The setup that you are doing is usually for LAN where all systems are configured on a single network. But if you want to setup the web access you have to configure this online. You have to setup Remote Desktop Web, so that you can access the existing server through Internet. The process for that is not all complicated. Just ensure that your had enabled IIS from Windows component and services. Other than this the service is also configure through router where you have to state the proper IP address of your connection. Or else you will not be able to establish a proper connection. There is a nice guide on web that can guide you for the same.

You can also visit Youtube and find out appropriate video guide on that also. It is not complicated to configure or setup a web based remote connectivity but to some extent this is a bit complicated job. Run firewall and under exception list add the Remote Desktop thing. There you can simply allow any remote user to connect the pc.

There best thing you can do is use Teamviewer. I had installed that and keep the password with me. My PC at home remains turned on. When I need to connect I just have to launch Teamviewer and control my pc. This needs other guy to stay active on the next end. But yet this is one of the nice and easy to configure option.

Here is short tip that can help you for what you are doing. First you have to configure the IIS service. I am showing all the steps from start so that it can became easier for you to configure all what you need. The remote desktop connection will work in web browser after configuring this thing. You must have Active X installed in your system.

First go in Control Panel and then click on Add/Remove Programs > Windows Component > Internet Information Services > Details. In that click on World Wide Web Service > Detail > Remote Desktop Web Connection. Tick the check bock and you are done. Now the second step is enabling remote connectivity. For that right click on My Computer > Properties > Remote > Tick on Allow users to connect remotely. Now you are done with the system configuration. To open up your computer you have to type http://servername/tsweb. That's all. This does not need changes to be made inside router and firewall.

There are tons of third party tools that works smoothly than this. Because to configure remote connectivity in windows you have to manage the firewall and other settings. This makes your job a bit more complicated. Ammyy Admin is another great tool for that. The settings are minimal here.

The best remote support software according to me is UltraVNC. I am using this for years. There is no need to disable your antivirus or install additional service. You can use this on lan or on Internet based on your requirement. The tool is free and you can simply control your system from wherever you want. Along this this software provides you some advance tools that you will not find in regular windows remote connectivity. You can simply transfer files between remote pc and your pc.

This is somehow not possible in default Windows connection. There are many functions provided by this tool. For additional support this software also provides you a chat support by which you can simply pass on message as needed. I would recommend you to stick with a advance tool that can guide you for the same. The remote connectivity here works in window mode. You can check a short screenshot on web easily to find out how this really works.

UltraVNC is a nice tool. I will too recommend the same. I found the tool a much better option for connection to remote computer. It does not require special settings. Just try to unlock this connection under your firewall settings, thats all.

Mostly the default remote connectivity needs a proper ip configuration and incoming port. This is to be unlocked. By default Firewall block a number of ports to avoid any issue. You will need to manually unlock the port and make it active to receive connection. First it is not at all complicated to configure the remote connection. Third party tools are quiet better because they provide you additional features. If you have a router and it has a firewall inside, then you have to make changes to its settings also. You will need to add the user or incoming request under exception list.

A number of routers comes with Remote Desktop connectivity options. Once you enable the same your connection becomes active and it worked well. Third party software like VNC are better and easy to configure. There are buttons or options on the top that guide you for a number of operation. It is free and works on number of platform. This is worth trying product.

Yes I too agree. You must try UltraVnc. I had not find any better product compared to this. This tool offers a simple only way to control your computer. And the time when you do not want UltraVNC connection you just need to remove it. Your job becomes much more easier.