Thread: LAN Connection and Internet suddenly stopped working on Linux Mint

LAN Connection and Internet suddenly stopped working on Linux Mint

I am not able to understand what happen to my system. I have a laptop. In morning when I turned it on, my Internet was not connected. Lan looks working. When I open and search in Google it works. But when I try to open any website like Yahoo or through Google I face page not found error.

I tried to restart my pc a number of time, I had also tried to remove the back lan cable and then insert the same back. It is not at all working. I need help for the same.

Re: LAN Connection and Internet suddenly stopped working on Linux Mint

You can find the issue by ping command. You have to ping a site and find out what response you are getting on the same. In terminal type ping -c google.com. This will give you the package response. In the same way ping other files also.

This looks a clear issue of DNS server. Because your Internet is working but due to DNS issue your system failed to open the page. Here is a troubleshooting option for that. Click on Linux Mint Menu and then click on Control Center. Then on the left side click on Internet & Network. Now you can see some disabled option. Below the Network Settings window there is a small lock. And next to that it is written Click on make changes. Click on it and provide your password.

Now go to DNS and add the dns of your existing Internet settings. If you are on lan network then you can find that easily. In another working system if it is windows type ipconfig /all to find the DNS information. And if it is Linux pc and then type cat /etc/resolv.conf in the terminal to locate DNS. Now add this under Network Settings > DNS. Now check back your Internet will start working. You can also find the DNS information from the router page which is by default 192.168.1.1.

There is easier way to fix that. The above solution is very effective but before that I have one more thing to tell you. On the connection icon in system panel towards right side right click on the icon and then click on Enable Networking. This will disable the connection for sometime. Do the same thing again and then check back.

Instead of right clicking on that click on the icon and then click on Disconnect. Then click on Connect once again. It will show you the connection status and will refresh the connection. This has worked for me a number of time. You can also delete the connection by right clicking on it > Edit Connection. From there delete the connect and then Add a new one. Choose all the settings on automatic, that's all.

All settings will be restored automatically. I faced the same issue when I was trying to play with the firewall settings. I had turned on the firewall and then turned it off. But that thing has blocked all incoming connection and the settings were not at all restored. After doing a number of thing my Internet start working on its own.