Thread: Without disabling network lan, disable internet connection

Without disabling network lan, disable internet connection

This is a bit tricky question. I want some option through which I can block internet connection for sometime without turning on the lan. I have a small office where people launch download or stream media. This affect the backup process which is initiated through automated tool which works on lan and stores the data in NAT.

I need some way through which I can stop internet connectivity only at the time of backup process so that it can be completed faster. Is there a way to do the same.

Re: Without disabling network lan, disable internet connection

That is not a big deal. For that do one thing. If you sit near to the router or switch then search for internet cable. This will be a RJ45 type cable which comes from the ISP. Remove that and then see. Your lan will be working but your internet will be disconnected.

Second there is a media convertor which is connected mostly to every high speed internet gateway. You can turn that off also. The internet will not work.

If you run small office then you can do that through Remote Desktop. The process is time consuming but very effective. Through Remote Desktop you can simply disallow any where to control the pc at the time of backup. This will ensure that your entire backup process is complicated well. You can lock the computers by default password and do not allow anyone to login until the backup if over. I hope it does not take much time.

Or simple through Remote Desktop you can locate the candidate who still surf or download when backup is on. You can then warn him verbally for this activity. There are many bandwidth monitoring tool and blocker. To some extent the router provides you options by which you can block access to a entire group when needed. But this some better know how of networking. It can be a complicated procedure for you. The answer posted by above guy is very practical. I like the media convertor part.

This media convert work on adapter. If you turn that the entire internet will stop working. Even your pc or server which is configured will not be able to go online. If you find that appropriate then you can do that also.

To some extent I will not recommend you to touch the hardware thing. Do not play with cables and media convertor. If something wrong happen, your network will be down for longer time which will be waste of human resource. Instead of that try to find some software level solutions.

I did a trick at a institution. In it the server admin use to remove the DNS and IP information from the router itself. Because of which we cannot access web. Whenever needed he deletes the information from router and block all access. But it is correct that no one can use internet. He had configured a separate router to the server where internet was accessible. So this shows that you need a additional hardware configuration.

You have to configure two routers on the same switch or setup two switch instead. You can them manually block connection to each without disturbing the other hardware. I am sure there is some option available. You can do that on software level making it more comfortable to handle. Anyhow even if you remove the DNS IP the net will be in accessible. There are certain script available on web which can do that. But for that you need a good network background or else you might land up in unnecessary trouble.

Just wipe out the TCP/IP settings and done. If all the LAN pc connect to internet through your Windows Server then this will be much easier. Or else you have to play with the router settings directly. It is not so complicated as it looks.

It is right just remove the router settings. You can easily login in it and then remove the IP address settings that are provided to you buy the ISP. In this way you will get rid of internet connection but still the lan is working. At my office I had keep a yellow cable separately which comes from router and goes in the switch. I had built a nice rack which is much easily accessible. If I have to block internet connection, I just pull the yellow cable out and the net stops. But the computer which are configured on separate switch are able to access which is our admin part. So this is quiet easier for use. Second thing for the lan thing we cannot play with the switch or router settings directly.

My network admin remain busy in other department. So cannot remove the router information and then add them back again and again. He said that it is safer to remove and add the cable and it put no effect on the lan systems.

For such thing you must be prepared before. That means you must keep necessary arrangement. If you try to make changes in active connection then there can be servere losses. You must keep the documentation of important files and settings needed for reference purpose at the time of restoration.

If you are aware about different network stuff then I have a simple alternative. We had two internet line at our office. Once goes to other department while one lies reserve for backup purpose. When there is internet issue or downtime we enable the backup line. For that there are two modems. Both modems are connected to different internet line. So when one line goes down, we just need to turn on the other router. That's all the internet is restored.

You can do that. If you do not want anyone to use internet just turn off the modem, thats all. But you will also not able to do that. Sometime if there is any error just tell your people on lan to right click on the network icon in system try and choose repair. That's all, the internet connection will be restored. If everyone one is on static ip then this issue will not all appear.

There might be something presented inside the router settings itself. That can help you a lot in many manner. You must check the settings of router if there is way to disable internet for sometime then that would be better.