Thread: Thomson Gateway wireless router restarts itself

Thomson Gateway wireless router restarts itself

It has been a couple of month since I bought Thomson Gateway TG585 v8 Wireless-G ADSL Router, I did not had any issue in installing it and configuring it and things were working fine as well. Since morning I don’t know what’s wrong with it, when I am connecting my laptop to the wifi and trying to access internet then within minutes router is getting restarted automatically. This goes in loop and I am just not able to access the internet using my laptop. Has anyone faced something like this before or has any idea regarding this issue?

Re: Thomson Gateway wireless router restarts itself

I have not faced the same issue but I will suggest you to reboot the router and see if you are getting any help from that. If that doesn’t make any difference then you will have to try updating the firmware of your router and reconfigure its settings. Just make sure that you are restarting and reconfiguring the router after updating its firmware as it is recommended. These are basic troubleshooting steps that one should try in such cases, just try them out and let me know what you get for further help.

I have tried updating the firmware of the router to the latest and have reconfigured its setting as well but that’s just not making any difference in my case. I am getting the same response from the router even after updating the firmware of the router a couple of times. It seems as if there is something wrong at the hardware end of the router but I am not sure about as it has been just 4 months. I have checked out the power supply and have inspected the wired connection they are appearing to be working fine. The router restarts itself only when I try to access wifi after connecting my laptop to it, I am completely blank for now and I don’t know what to do. Is there anything I can do about it further??

Have you tried out restoring your router to factory defaults? If not then give that a try and see if the issue is getting solved that way:

Via Thomson Gateway GUI:
    First go to Thomson Gateway GUI and click on Configuration on Thomson Gateway menu, after that click on “Reset my Thomson Gateway” in Pick a task list.
    Now your Thomson Gateway will be restored to initial configuration and will restart.
    You can now reconfigure your router setting and check out the connection.

Via Reset button:
    Turn on your Thomson Gateway and Push the Reset button until the Power LED lights red. Once it turns red just release the Reset button and let it restart normally. This won’t work if you might have disabled physical reset button of the Thomson Gateway, so make sure that it is enabled before trying this out.

You can also try out rebooting your laptop and see if there is avail, if none of the solution mentioned here is not making any difference then you will have to get your router checked, there are possibilities that there might be some kind of hardware issue with the wireless chip of the router.

I have tried performing reset Via Thomson Gateway GUI as well as Via Reset button but no luck yet, even I feel there is some kind of hardware fault with the router, anyways I will get it checked and repaired and will find out what was the issue all about.

I don’t see any physical damage caused to the router but I don’t think I have any option left rather than getting it checked.