Thread: Configure NAS on Vista Wi-Fi network

Configure NAS on Vista Wi-Fi network

Planing to upgrade storage space on Vista wifi network. Right now I have a File Server which is commonly shared by all. Now I the file sever is almost occupied. It has 500GB storage. I want to upgrade that. This time planing to have a wifi storage system. My entire network is on wireless network and it looks that a wifi file server can be more helpful. I cannot put the existing system on wifi. But I am ready to purchase a external storage device like NAS. Size from 1TB to 4TB can be better. I need guidance on choosing the right device for Wireless network only. What I need is good storage space, good data transfer ration, etc. After adding a wifi storage device my entire network will be wireless. I can add up boosters if required to get more better data transfer ratio. What are your recommendations on the same. Which device should I choose. Thanks.

Re: Configure NAS on Vista Wi-Fi network

You can purchase LaCie Wireless Space 1 TB storage for your network. It comes with both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection. Lacie has more similar products in the wifi range. The device is best recommended for backup and file sharing. You can also stream digital content directly out of it at high speed rate. The wifi specs of this devices is Wi-Fi b/g/n 2.4 Ghz. The maximum storage on this device you can have is 2TB.

Before going for a wifi storage I will recommend you to have a look on different pros and cons between them. In my views wired network is more reliable. The issue arise mostly due to hardware breakdown, but in wifi even minor radio signals cause issue. Surely people in your office have mobile phones. When they operate their phones, the RF signals affects the wifi range. Because of which you can face loose connection issue or poor connectivity. I had notice this in my last office. To fix that they had added a Cisco Wifi booster. This is another add-on to your cost. The booster helps to give more extended wireless network, proper difference between wifi signals, etc. So it became a bit easier to use it. According to me Wifi network are less reliable. They are good for large enterprise. Another important thing is security. Wifi network can be access or hacked by anyone while compared to that on a wired network a person needs to plugin his system to access. This limits the security breach. On wifi network you will have to spend a good amount to gain better security also.

I do not agree with that. Compared to Wired, Wifi are most cost effective. And you only need a storage device then that is fine. But one thing that I will agree that in very less places you will find NAS on wifi. They are mostly wired because no one wants to have data loss due to some issue.

LG has a device called as N2R1 for $299. This device can connect to your wireless network . Now on a wifi network what matters the most is the data transfer ratio. This ratio is actually affected when a large number of usres access the same data at single time. On wired network this is resolved by the network hardware. It decides automatically the transfer ratio and also distribute the data on slowest rate. But on wifi there are chances that the connection might break. As wifi mostly operates on 802.11g or 802.11n standard which is applicable for bluetooth devices also. What I will not recommend on wireless storage is large data copy paste. Media streaming is ok, but if you move large data from client to storage regularly then better go for wired lan connection. Because on that the speed is remains at considerable rate. The NAS device that I mentioned above LG N2R1 comes with 2 drive bay and a dvd RW. This NAS device is designed for high performance. It is actually best for media center system to stream audio and video contents.

It depends basically on your choice for what you need a NAS device. For data backup or for media streaming. If data backup then go for wired one. Implement good security so that your data is not accessed by anyone. Wifi network needs more strict security policies which cannot be maintained by us.

On Wifi you cannot expect speed more than 20mb/s depends on the standard used. And if we talk about high speed devices then just assume that you will need to upgrade your entire wireless network. This goes upgrade for your router, network hardware, etc and even some of your older system. If you have a desktop you will need to get a wifi device for that. A pci card will be better for faster speed access. Compared to that in a wired network the data transfer speed is in gbps. And surely you are going to get relatively high speed on your existing hardware. Wifi nas are mostly for personal usage. They are not made to stream or backup data on network. For industrial purpose there would be some better hardware coming in future.

Wireless network saves your time is configuration of cable and hardware. They are cost effective and take less time in configuration. It is recommended that you must go for wifi only if you are a small network. For larger network you have to go for better products.

I cannot see much devices under wifi nas. I was trying to find a high speed wifi router. Which game me a result of Dlink router that offers maximum 108 Mbps. Compared to that when I search for high speed lan router I got maximum speed of 800 Mbps. Here you can understand the actual difference between both. A wired connection is capable of giving you 10 times the higher data transfer ratio than a wifi. Also there will be limitation of area. Like the guy sitting at the most corner might not receive a better bandwidth. You have to add up a costlier booster for that. In this way your hardware can just keep on increasing. I will advice you to have a look on the specification first before going for any router stuff. Security is another right term that is mentioned. They are more prone to attacks compared to wired.

If you have a dedicated networking staff to handle all day to day networking issues, then better go for wifi. It is really cool to have all wireless. At my place I had added a wifi router. I had provided access to the nearby cabin and the other parts are on wired network. So by this way those who use laptops or smartphones can access wifi, and others can work properly on wired network.