Thread: How to Upgrade LINKSYS WAG200G firmware

How to Upgrade LINKSYS WAG200G firmware

I have been using LINKSYS WAG200G router ad things were working fine as well and I did not had any issues with it by now. Since some days the devices connected to it has started losing connection, while I asked about the same to my friends then the suggested me to first upgrade the firmware of the router. I am willing to do the same but the problem is that I don’t know the current version of LINKSYS WAG200G firmware, I mean I don’t know where I can check that out. The setup has been made by my brother who is out of town now, I don’t have much idea about all these things. I have checked out for the download and have found some newer versions but I don’t know which one to choose. Is there anyone who can help me out in this situation??

Re: How to Upgrade LINKSYS WAG200G firmware

That’s not a big deal, for checking the current firmware version your LINKSYS WAG200G router you just have to go to modem admin. After that open the browser that you might be using and enter 192.168.1.1. When you do so you will be asked for router username and password so enter the same and then in the new window search for "firmware version". It should be at the top right hand side, the small description will let you know about your routers current firmware version. Now for upgrading you can download the latest available firmware. Once you download it just save it somewhere and go to Administration> Firmware Upgrade. So now you just have to click on Firmware Upgrade and point to the new firmware that you have downloaded and finally click on upgrade. Just try out the same and let me know if you face any issues with it.

Hey thanks for your help, I have followed the same and have installed the latest firmware for my LINKSYS WAG200G as well. The upgrading process seems to be successful but when I am checking the current firmware version, it is still displaying the older version of the firmware. I don’t think that the changes have taken place. I don’t think I have missed anything from the solution you had mentioned. Are you aware of such issues?? Is there any other method of upgrading the firmware as this solution is not appearing to be working out for me.

My bad, I forgot to mention that you have to reset your router after updating the firmware. Anyways you can try that now, if you are not aware of the same then you can follow the below steps:
    • Just turn off your system, turn off your LINKSYS WAG200G or unplug the same, check out for Reset button which will be on the back of your Linksys router.
    • Now while pressing the Reset button plug in router and hold and press reset button for 30 seconds at the same time.
    • When Power, WLAN and Internet light gets on then Plug in or turn on your modem and you are done.
    • Try it out and let me know if you are able to do it successfully.

So now I have tried doing the same, I was able to get Power, WLAN and Internet lights on but after that when I opened the web browser then there was no internet connection. I don’t know what the issue all about is, I don’t think I have missed out anything now as well. Is there anything else that I need to check out or any further solution that I can try out?? I just want to get it working somehow so please help. Further help regarding this will be appreciated.

In that case you can reboot your system and see if you are getting the internet connection back. If you don’t then Open up your browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/. You will be prompted for entering admin id and password, so enter the same and Go to status and try renewing DHCP till you get a IP address. When you get a ip address then you should not have any further issues and the internet connection should work fine. Hope that helps.