Thread: Need help to configure PPTP on Cisco WAG320N

Need help to configure PPTP on Cisco WAG320N

I need help to configure PPTP on my network. Right-now there is a new Cisco WAG320n modem connected. Before that there was a old low grade router which never caused the configuration issue. I am going for a new setup where I am facing a connectivity failure issue. The technician game me list of entire process for configuring pptp. But still I am stucked at some place. I need help to find right settings for both Windows and Linux.

Re: Need help to configure PPTP on Cisco WAG320N

Check the open ports first. That will help you. You need to open a port to accept incoming connection and if the same blocked by any security application, then you will face connectivity error. Second thing if still you face this error on open port then I will recommend you to run a firmware update for the modem. That will be far more helpful in comparison to making more changes. Try to check on the official website that you receive any kind of new firmware update for this model.

Here is a short guide by which you can start PPTP configuration on Linux system. It is possible that there might be some issue with configuration or you are missing something. First as mentioned above just ensure that you have a open port. I had did this before on vpn and it worked fine. It is might be worth sharing the same here. Compared to VPN I had noticed that PPTP is a bit less complicated. The installation and configuration is easier and you do not need to do much modifications. Also you can easily communicate with non linux based system.
    • Being with port forwarding. You will need to forward port number 1723. If this is not open then the connection will not establish at all. Ensure that you have unblock this. Add the same under exception list of firewall connectivity also.
    • To begin with PPTP server setup on Linux you have to start from installing pptp server package on Linux system. To install that run command the following command in terminal - sudo apt-get install pptp.
    • Once done with that you will need to modify the pptpd.conf file which is located in etc directory. To access that run - sudo vim /etc/pptpd.conf. In this file add the localip - xxx.xxx.x.x (server ip address ) and in remote ip configure ip for client systems.
    • To edit pptpd.conf run -- sudo vim /etc/ppp/pptpd-options. In the existing window you can see certain options like ms-dns, mtu, etc. Here ms-dns is the dns server of your network. So you need to adjust that as per your requirement. Second thing you have to also edit the chap secret file by using - sudo vim /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. This file act as the authentication gateway for user who will be accessing your network. Add a username and password and run - sudo /etc/init.d/pptpd restart to reboot the connection.
    • Till here you are done with pptp configuration. Later on you can play with more permission to access network. I am here not going to provide you those settings, because if any wrong configuration is done, then your server may be on risk. But you can modify your existing parameters by editing sysctl.conf file.

I can provide some help to configure the same on Windows. I had done this a number of time so it will be easier for to list all the settings here. Below are straight settings that you can try on using pptp on windows.
    • Go in Control Panel > Network Connections > Create New Connection > Connect to Network at my Workplace > Virtual Private Network Connection. Add a connection name here and hit Next. Choose Automatic dial as per your choice. And then add the vpn server here. Choose option Me only or Anyone to configure the connection for others. Then done click on Finish. Now go gon Connection Properties. For that Choose the VPN connection > Properties > TCP/IP > Advance Options > User Default Gateway > OK. In VPN properties you can also provide the vpn username and password configured.

Why don't you try Poptop. It is a open source pptp server for linux. You can find a nice wiki guide on web to configure that. I think that will be a easier choice for you.