Thread: WAG200G connection drops frequently

WAG200G connection drops frequently

I don’t even remember how long it has been seeing my router working properly without causing any trouble. When I bought this WAG200G Lynksis router, for first one week everything went on smoothly then suddenly one day I found that the connection simply dropped without any reason. During that time I believed that there might be some mistake from the ISP but that wasn’t the case. It was purely my router which was creating the connection issue. it’s now 6 months passed away, I haven’t seen any improvement or changes in the performance in this router. The connection is still dropping without any prior warning or message.

Earlier I thought that I was just a simple issue that would be solved with a simple firmware update but after updating the router with the latest firmware update everything remained the same, the connection worked well only for a minute or two but then again it dropped drastically. I am really fed up of the issue as I am never been able to work on network smoothly even for an hour.

This is going to be my last trial. Here if I do not get any proper fix I am surely going to drop Lynksis and switch to some other device. Please help me out.

Re: WAG200G connection drops frequently

Only a hard reset and the power cycle have the ability to resolve the issue. In many cases such connection dropping has been said to be resolved easily with a hard reset. When I contacted the Support center this was the only solution they suggested me. and as according to their suggestion when I tried a hard reset on my WAG200G and when I power cycled nothing worked. As according to their instruction I pressed the reset button for more than half a minute and then power cycle the unit. After the setup I found that the internet connection worked fine but it was only for 15 minutes (longest ever) and then dropped suddenly. Over all I can only say that hard reset was a hard luck for me but it should be the same for everyone. You can give it a try and see whether it works for you or not. My next plan is to take the unit to the Support Center and let me do the hard reset procedure or try other R&D in order to get the device working properly. If they fail I have no other option than returning the device.

Downloading the latest firmware nowhere seems to be a solution for such connection dropping issue. Let me tell you something, as according to my experience I have found that the latest firmware has been proved to be worse than the other previous ones. One of my friends is also facing this similar issue and during that time period the first thing he did was updated the firmware to the latest version i.e. 1.01.08 and from then onwards he began to see a huge different in the issue (negatively). With the pervious firmware version i.e. 1.01.06, the connection use to go off at every interval of time where the wireless connection use to stay alive anyhow but then after the firmware update he found that during the issue the whole system was made to turn off and on every time in order to get the connection back. Simply after the connection breakage it won’t reconnect without a reboot. Restarting everything again and again becomes more hectic and irritating. As it is the connection dropping frustrates a lot, over to it rebooting the router and other thing doesn’t seems to be a workaround or a fix for the issue.

The only thing I would like to tell you is that if you are having the latest update then better downgrade or switch to the previous version. At least you will stay away from the rebooting the router again and again just to get the connection properly.

You have already been suggested with the best answer. Hard reset is the actual solution for such connection dropping issue. Search for similar threads on internet or contact any networking expert person they might suggest you with the same solution, but however here in WAG200G case I only doing hard reset is not going to help you out. I mean to say that, just hard reset do not help you then also remember to set the MTU value. Yeah, setting up the MTU value has resolved many related issue. What you need to do is first follow the hard reset option and then just after the hard reset make sure that you set the MTU value to 1400 and then try your connection. One user has already tried it under my guidance and guess what? From the day he tried this trick, he didn’t saw any connection drop. Fingers crossed, hoping for the best. Let’s see how long the connection works. Now, even if the connection fails in his case, at there would be a relief that we managed to stable the connection for more than a day which is in my opinion is far much better than keeping the connection only for minutes. Do not lose hope, try as I said, first hard reset and then set the MTU to 1400.

If in case hard reset and setting the MTU to 1400 doesn’t works then I guess you problem solely lies in the DSL line. It is better for you to check the SNR margin from the DSL connection in order to check the value. For checking the values go to Status, from there DSL connection and within DSL connection check out the SNR margins.

Suppose if in your case the value is at the level or beyond 10db then you will have to contact your Service provider and ask them to examine your line. Actually the thing is that if the values are not at 10db level then it means that the line has lots of noise which would in turn create a huge barrier with the connection. Reducing the noise in your line can solve the problem and for reducing the noise there are only two things that can be done, either you will have to replace the copper wiring or else changing the DSL modulation to G.DMT from multimode can help you out. It has been always said that DSL modulation at G.DMT is always stable in noisy lines too. Hope if not hard reset then this one would help you out.