Thread: After updating WAG160N firmware, ADSL connection dropping continuously

After updating WAG160N firmware, ADSL connection dropping continuously

I have been using Linksys WAG160N and it is having an ADSL connection. I did not had any issues with it before but since updating the firmware the connection has started dropping continuously. This is really irritating me now, I have tried to rollback to the previous firmware but I am not able to find out the same. I just wanted to know if there is any solution that I can try out further to fix this issue.

Re: After updating WAG160N firmware, ADSL connection dropping continuously

In that case I just wanted to know whether you had reset and had re-configured the Gateway after updating the firmware as recommended. If not then try doing the same and see if it is making any effect. If you are having such issues even after then check out the environment near your router and make sure that there is no wireless interference and so. I also wanted to know to which firmware version you have updated the router, I have checked about this issue and have found a no of people mentioning that there is some issue with the firmware version 12. Most of the people have mentioned that they were able to fix this issue by rolling back to the old firmware. Since you have mentioned that you are not able to find out the older version you can let me know your routers older firmware version so I can check out for it. If you want then till then you can try updating some other version and see if that’s helping. You can probably try updating to a couple of firmware versions.

Yes even I have updated to firmware 12 and I was not aware that there is something wrong with it before updating. Now while looking after a solution for the same on some other forums even I have come across people saying that firmware 12 is faulty and so. In my case router previous firmware version was 1.00.09. I have checked out for it all over the web and I have not yet got any luck. I don’t think there is any wireless interference that might be causing this issue. I will try to follow your suggestion of updating to other firmware and will let you know if they are helping me out or not. If you are able to find out firmware version 1.00.09 then please let me know it will be very appreciative.

I have checked about the same and even I was not able to find it out but I have come across one who has mentioned that he has uploaded firmware version 1.00.09 on rapidshare. So if you want then you can check out for WAG160Nv1-EU-ANNEXA-ETSI-1.00.09-code_0.zip file on rapidshare and see if you are able to get it. I am not very sure about it as I have not checked it out myself but you can definitely give it a try. I also wanted to know if you have tried out some other version of firmware available for your router by now??

By now I have tried out updating the router to a couple of some other firmware version for my router but it is not making any difference. I am still facing connection drop outs. I have tried rolling back to firmware version 1.00.09 as well and even that’s not helping. I am really running out of ideas now, I mean I was with the hope that rolling back to routers old firmware might solve out the issue but it’s not. What should I do further?? Is there any other workaround for me?? I really need to get it working somehow so any further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Now I doubt your issue to be because of firmware. I mean if it would have been because of firmware update and so then rolling back to the old firmware should have helped you out. Assuming you might have reset and re-configured the Gateway after updating or downgrading the firmware this time, if you are still having this issue then I will suggest you to go through basic wireless trouble shooting to narrow down the cause of this problem:
    • Turn off your connection, disconnect the wireless router from power wait for some seconds, power wireless router again and turn on the connection.
    • Try connecting to Internet and wireless local area network from your computer. If you still have the same issue then enter 192.168.1.1 in browser address hit enter and enter username and password if prompted.
    • Check out the wireless router settings and if possible then configure it again under the "Setup" tab.
    • Try changing the channel. In case you are having Wireless N and your computer is with G or B access points then you can try changing "Radio Band" setting from "Wide 40MHz Channel" to "Standard 20MHz Channel."
    • If that does not help then check mark "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests" and "Filter IDENT (Port 113)" Under "Internet Filter" where as Uncheck "Filter Multicast" and "Filter Multicast." Under "Web Filter," other than this make sure that the items in under Security tab of VPN Pass through are checked.
    • You can try removing access restrictions if you are having any under "Access Restrictions" tab.
    • If these things are not helping you out then you can try out Port Forwarding. For that click Applications and Gaming and select "Port Range Forwarding" Option. After that just add port ranges of application that might not be running properly and select a protocol.
    • Try resetting your Linksys wireless router by inserting a pen or pencil on its back and hold it like that for about 10 seconds.
    • If these things are not making any difference in your case then you will have to get your router checked.