Thread: CISCO WAG54G2 router fails to connect through VPN

CISCO WAG54G2 router fails to connect through VPN

I am using a CISCO WAG54G2 router and I am willing to use VPN for connecting my college but I don’t know why router fails to connect through VPN. I don’t have much idea about the same I thought there was something wrong with the college server but after having a word to my IT department they said there is nothing wrong from their side and there might be some issue in my network. So I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do about this?? I need to fix this out as soon as possible so any help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Re: CISCO WAG54G2 router fails to connect through VPN

In that case I just wanted to know that have you opened the Cisco Connect software port numbers. If not then open the same as it is required for using Cisco VPN Client. If you are not aware of the port numbers then I will like to inform you that you need to open 500 UDP,4500 UDP,10000 UDP. So just try opening that and see if you are able to connect through vpn or not. If that does not help then you can try adding VPN’s in the Port Forwarding parameter settings and see if you are getting any luck with it. If you have not updated your firmware then you can try updating the same and make sure that you are updating to the latest and see if it is making any difference. Just try out these things and let me know what you get so that I can have a better idea of your case and will try to help you further with it.

I am aware of these things and I have opened Cisco Connect software port numbers previously as well but I am not having any luck with the same. After your suggestion I have tried updating the firmware and have tried adding VPN’s in the Port Forwarding parameter settings but they does not seems to be making any difference and I am still not able to connect to the college server through VPN. What should I do know?? Is there anything that I can try out or I should better contact the concerned IT department of my college? I also wanted to add that I am not sure if I have updated to the latest. I mean latest firmware versions are not available so I have updated to the one that was available.

As far as the firmware is concerned you can check out the CISCO site and downloaded V1.00.19 Annex A and make sure that you are downloading and installing the one as per your model. You should also restart the router after updating the firmware. If that does not help then you can try reserving VPN parameters that you might have added. I am not sure but I have found one mentioning that reserving the added VPN parameters had helped him out in similar case. So even you can give it a try, Just try out what I have suggested you and post back the result that you get.

So now I have downloaded V1.00.19 Annex A but when I am trying to apply the same then I am getting an error message saying "Cannot upload. Please contact the administrator." Anyways reserving VPN parameters seems to have helped, thanks for the same.