Thread: Cant connect Buffalo LinkStation Live 2TB via LinkSys WRT54GL from computer outside my network

Cant connect Buffalo LinkStation Live 2TB via LinkSys WRT54GL from computer outside my network

Well I am having LinkSys WRT54GL and Buffalo LinkStation Live 2TB setup at our office. I found that I was not able to connect with network storage device from the outside of network. I am not sure whether there is something wrong with the setup itself. I read somewhere on the internet that Port forwarding will help you to resolve the issue. However I am not having much idea about it. so tell me how can I resolve the said issue in my situation.

Re: Cant connect Buffalo LinkStation Live 2TB via LinkSys WRT54GL from computer outside my network

Just give me a brief idea about default IP assignments for devices which are connected with network. FYI The IP range should be of 192.168.0.1. Let me know if you are using DHCP?

We know that DHCP assigns duplicate IP addresses to the devices which are connected with it. what I recommend over here is that, you should set master DHCP authority device for a single device. For rest of the device which are connected with it, simply Turn off DHCP. Still issue is persisting then assign Static IP. Also check out that there should not be any DHCP server running on the computer.

Re: Cant connect Buffalo LinkStation Live 2TB via LinkSys WRT54GL from computer outside my network

I am suspecting that there could be an issue with network traffic. You should have a look on TTL values and dropped packets. It will give you brief idea about which node is blocked. You can run Netstat, you will give brief information about incoming and outgoing network connection.

If there is no DHCP server running on the network then LinkStation should be using 192.168.11.150. the Static IP of computer should be same as that of subnet. Now enter http://192.168.11.150 on the address bar of the browser. Here go for Network and click on IP Address Settings. Now you should set static IP address, make sure that static IP should be in to address range of router.

You should disable DHCP Client Function. For Linksys WRT54G router set static IP to 192.168.1.150.
    subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.
    Default Gateway Address should be set to 192.168.1.1.

Once you have done with above mentioned thing disconnect and reconnect all the device with computer. finally reboot the system and see whether it does work for you.