Thread: Firmware Update failed on updating DTCP-IP on LinkStation Duo

Firmware Update failed on updating DTCP-IP on LinkStation Duo

I have been using linkstation ls-wvl and now when I am trying to update DTCP-IP then I am getting the error related to Media Server update failed something. It also shows something on internet failure. I have checked about the same and have found people suggesting to upgrade the firmware once gain by resetting the linkstation to factory defaults. I have followed the same and it has not made any difference in my case. I am still getting the same error message when I am trying to update DTCP-IP on my linkstation ls-wvl. Some people have also mentioned that this issue is chrome browser relate. So by using internet explorer rather than chrome browser nothing has much helped. I am really running out of ideas in tracking out the cause of this issue. Is there any other solution that I can try out further to fix this??

Re: Firmware Update failed on updating DTCP-IP on LinkStation Duo

I think that I can help you out here, I was having same issue with LS-WV2.0 and I had tried out the below solutions:
    • Updating the firmware
    • Resetting the linkstation to factory defaults
    • Restarting dlna
    • Re-flashing and force flashing

I had tried using different browsers as well as disabling DLNA Server but it was not making any difference and I was getting the same error message saying “Error: While firmware updating, Media Server update cannot be updated completely. Please click 'Update DTCP-IP' button after establishing Internet connection.” Later after a number of troubleshooting I just set my Linkstation as DMZ and after that I did not had any issues in updating the DTCP-IP'. If you want then you can try out the same and see if it is making any difference in your case or not. I think it should help you out as well as it has helped many people having similar case. Just try it out and then post back the result you get.

I just wanted to know that to which version of firmware you have updated? What did you meant by “set my Linkstation as DMZ”. I don’t have much idea about the same can you explain the same in detail? How can I set my Linkstation as DMZ? In my case I am using a netgear RP614 router and my system is running on Windows Vista Home Premium x64 having a LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WVL/R1. Is there any other information you need?? I have found others having this issue with Linkstation Pro Duo, Linkstation Pro, Buffalo LinkStation Duo 4TB NAS LS-WX4.0TL/R1-EU and some more so isn’t there a common fix for this issue?? Any further help regarding the same will be appreciated.

I am not aware if there is a common fix for this issue or not but as I have mentioned I was able to solve the issue by setting Linkstation as DMZ. Actually you don’t have to set the Linkstation as DMZ but you have to create a DMZ for your router. I think that you might have got confused because of what I have written previously. Anyways for creating a DMZ for netgear RP614 router you just have to follow the below steps:
    • First open a Web browser and type router's IP address and click on go, after that enter the username and password for the router and navigate to the browser Main Menu.
    • Now here select Advanced > Security, use the WAN Setup Options and enter server's IP address click on apply and you are done.

Just try it out and let me know if that’s helping you as well. I am not very sure if this will work or not as I have found people mentioning different solutions to get rid of this similar issue but you can give it a try for sure. Best of luck.

I have found updating to FW1.58 is solving out the issue for LS-WV2.0TL/R1. So if anyone is having that then update to the same and see if it is helping:

[Firmware Release Note] * Ver.1.58 [2012.4.19] - Fixed an issue appearing "Media Server update cannot be updated completely" warning and error message when configuring Media Server.

You can get the 1.58 FW Update from here.