Thread: How to get rid of Google Redirect or ABNOW virus

How to get rid of Google Redirect or ABNOW virus

I am using a Windows 7 Operating System and it was running properly till today afternoon. Yesterday evening I found some Trojans and Rootkits. I used my Antivirus and cleaned my entire system. I deleted the Virus and restarted the computer and left like I have completely removed it. But today in the afternoon Google started redirecting me to abnow.com and certain other website. So may be the virus is still present in the system and this thing is happening due to the virus. I don’t want format my system but at the same time I am worried about my key loggers and my personnel stuff. Can anyone help me to remove this virus? It’s urgent as I don’t want that it harms my PC or my data. Thank You.

Re: How to get rid of Google Redirect or ABNOW virus

The ABNOW virus id really very dangerous virus and it can harm you in the several ways. Most of the times Google searches are redirected and the homepage settings for the browser and the Desktop background image are changed. It will slow down your PC and you may feel that your computer is stuck or it is or it has Hang. It will badly affect your Internet speed. You will get many unwanted pop ups and the worst part is that the virus corrupts your Windows. It is basically a rootkit so try running a TDSSkiller, it is a small executable file and there is no need for you to install it. Just save it and run it and it will do the job for you.

There is a method to manually remove this virus but I don’t trust it too much but it will definitely stop the virus for a time being so just take few steps and stop the virus from growing:
    1. From the task manager remove all the abnow process.
    2. Uninstall ABNOW program from the Windows control Panel.
    3. Open the registry and remove all the below mentioned list of ABNOW windows registry information.
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “.exe”
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “”
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “CertificateRevocation” = ’0′
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “WarnonBadCertRecving” = ’0′
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop “NoChangingWallPaper” = ’1′
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations “LowRiskFileTypes” = ‘/{hq:/s`s:/ogn:/uyu:/dyd:/c`u:/bnl:/ble:/sdf:/lrh:/iul:/iulm:/fhg:/clq:/kqf:/`wh:/lqf:/lqdf:/lnw:/lq2:/l2t:/v`w:/rbs:’
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments “SaveZoneInformation” = ’1′
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System “DisableTaskMgr” = ’1′
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system “DisableTaskMgr” = ’1′
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download “CheckExeSignatures” = ‘no’
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main “Use FormSuggest” = ‘yes’
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced “Hidden” = ’0′
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced “ShowSuperHidden” = 0′
    4. Now search for ABNOW files on your system to delete them.

Remember manually removing the ABNOW virus will not completely remove it from your system so better use Spyware Doctor to safely remove the Virus from your Computer

The best way to deal with this virus is to remove it using a flash drive. If you have a flash drive or if you can use any of your friends’ flash drive then that will be the best option to do remove the virus. Follow the following steps to successfully remove the virus:
    1. Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it on your flash drive.
    2. Now you have to plug the flash drive into your computer.
    3. Restart the computer and while your BIOS is been loaded start pressing the F8 key until you get into Advanced boot Options. In Advanced Boot Options select the Repair Your Computer Option, choose the language and then click on Next.
    4. Select the operating system and the User account and click on Next.
    5. Once it is done you will get the list of System Recovery Options. Select Command prompt from the List of Options given.
    6. Now in the command window type notepad and press Enter this will open a Notepad.
    7. In the Command prompt select Open and try to locate your flash drive letter, once it is done close the notepad.
    8. Suppose if your drive letter is “d”, then type d:\frst.exe and press Enter.
    9. Now the tool will start to run, when the tool opens click yes and press Scan button. It will make the log frst.txt on the flash drive. Now open that text file and delete all the folders mentioned in that log file and that’s it your PC is free from viruses now.