Thread: Windows Security Enter Network password/username for accessing External HD

Windows Security Enter Network password/username for accessing External HD

I am running Windows 7 and have an external WD My Book HD on my network. I use it, among other things to store my iTunes music. When I open iTunes it does not find the HD unless I have accessed the HD by first clicking on Windows start, computer, MY Book. When I do this I get a Window Security box (see attached)that wants me enter my network user name and password. Once I enter it then if I go back and open iTunes it finds the music on the HD. I want to know how to get rid of this Windows Security requirement. It makes me go through this process just to access this drive the first time if I just want to view content on the HD
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Windows Security Enter Network password/username for accessing External HD

Try the below method and see if that helps you out:

1. First of all try to unplug and plug in Drive again.
    2. After that you will be prompted to type in password.
    3. You have to now type five wrong password.
    4. I think when you will do it the 5th time, you will be prompted with screen to check off and give your drive storage back in exchange of giving up data. There is no way to get password back (no exception; not even from WD)

Re: Windows Security Enter Network password/username for accessing External HD

Thanks for the assistance.

With some help from some website we were able to determine that the password to log into windows and on the WD HD had to be the same. This then got rid of the security window and having to enter a user name and password.