Thread: Wired internet connection goes up and down in Debian Squeeze

Wired internet connection goes up and down in Debian Squeeze

I am using Acer laptop in which I have Debian Squeeze and I am facing problem with the internet connection in my laptop. I have Linksys wrt54gc router which is connected with my laptop via Ethernet cable. Now the problem is in my laptop internet connection drops randomly.

First I thought that problem is occurring because of the Ethernet cable and that is why I have tried different Ethernet cable but with another cable also I get same problem. I have also tried to find information regarding this problem but I didn’t any answer related to it. I don’t know what is causing this problem is there any setting which is causing this problem or there is something wrong with my laptop? Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Wired internet connection goes up and down in Debian Squeeze

Well I have read your problem regarding internet connection dropping and I would like to tell you that this problem normally occurs when IPv6 is enabled in your system. If IPv6 is enabled in your system then you should disable it and after disabling that you have to check whether you still get connection dropping problem or not? To disable the IPv6 in the Debian Squeeze you have to use “echo net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 > /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf” command. Once you disable IPv6 in your laptop after that you have to check whether you are getting same problem or not?

Thank you for helping me. I have disabled IPv6 in my laptop with the help of “echo net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 > /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf” command and after that when I tried to use internet on my laptop at that time I get same problem. is there any other way to solve this problem?

If above solution does not help you to resolve this problem then you should try new kernel and then check whether internet connection dropping problem still occurs or not? To install new kernel you have to use this command aptitude -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-X.X.X-X.bpo.1-686-pae linux-headers-X.X.X-X.bpo.1-686-pae” (replace “X” with your kernel version number).

Before you install new kernel you have to use “deb Index of /debian-backports squeeze-backports main” command for adding the backports and after adding the backports you should continue with installing new kernel. If you still get same problem after installing the new kernel in your laptop then there might be something wrong with your Network interface card.