Thread: How to completely uninstall Norton antivirus protection from Toshiba L555D laptop

How to completely uninstall Norton antivirus protection from Toshiba L555D laptop

I have recently bought Toshiba L555D-S7932 laptop and it came with Norton antivirus protection. But am not willing to use the same as I have been using avg from a long time in my other machines and I want to use the same on my Toshiba L555D-S7932 as well.

The problem is that I don’t have the idea of uninstalling the Norton antivirus protection from the laptop, so is there anyone who can help me out with the required steps?? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: How to completely uninstall Norton antivirus protection from Toshiba L555D laptop

If you want then you can try uninstalling Norton anti-virus using standard Microsoft Windows tools, for that you just have to follow the below steps:
    • First go to start> control panel>add remove program and then check out for the Norton antivirus protection program in the list, when you will select it then you will get Change/Remove button so just click on remove.
    • Now in the Setup Wizard window there will be a link for deleting all the user files, passwords and quarantined files so click on the same and click on next.
    • The un-installation process might take several minutes, so don’t panic and let the process get completed.

When the process gets completed then make sure that you are rebooting the system, you can manually check out for the left over files of the Norton by doing a search for them, if you get any then delete them and make sure that you are removing them from the recycle bin as well.

If you want then you can try using a special utility Norton Removal Tool by Symantec for uninstalling the Norton anti-virus. Just try out any of the solution that I have suggested and then let me know if they are helping you out or not, if you have any further query then feel free to ask, I will surely try to help you with the same.

Re: How to completely uninstall Norton antivirus protection from Toshiba L555D laptop

You can very well try out the below solution for removing the Norton anti-virus but then to remove the same completely one needs to perform the below steps:

• First Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and then check out for the Norton program and then click on Change and then on Remove All, when the process gets ended then you will be asked for restarting the machine, so make sure that you are not skipping the same and performing the required task.
    • After restart go to Start > My Computer > Program Files and just delete the Symantec folder by right clicking on the same and then selecting the delete option. You should also delete the Symantec folder from the Common Files folder which will be at the top of the Program Files window, after deleting it restart the system again.
    • When you are done with the same then Go to Start > Search > All Files and Folders > More Advanced Options and then check mark all the option which will be there but leave the "Case sensitive" option as it is, after that type in Norton in the search and then delete all the files and folders that you will get in the search results, now after deleting the search result of the Norton type Symantec in the "Search" box and then again delete the files and folders that you get in the search results.

Now the next step is to remove it from the registry and for that you will have to follow the below steps:

• Before you perform this step make sure that you are backing up the registry, once the backup of the Registry is ready then go to start click on run and type "regedit" without the quotes and click on ok.
    • Now check out for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and scroll down till you get the Software, when you get it then click on the same and check out for Symantec and delete it.
    • After doing that check out for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and scroll down till you get the Software, when you get it then click on the same and check out for the Symantec and delete it.
    • When you are done with all of the above steps then make sure that you are rebooting the machine and you are done.

The above steps will help you in eradicating the Norton anti-virus completely from the system.