Thread: No fix IP Address for wired devices on Netgear N300

No fix IP Address for wired devices on Netgear N300

I am not able to reserve an IP address for Buffalo Linkstation. As far as router is concerned I am using Netgear N300 wireless router. I noticed that IP address of Buffalo Linkstation is getting changed in each and every single session. Can you tell me why above mentioned issue is happening? Any comments to overcome from above mentioned situation will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: No fix IP Address for wired devices on Netgear N300

Let me know whether you have setup router as a DHCP sever? If your answer is yes then router should be reassigning the IP address. DNS should be mentioned when user is trying to connecting with their ISP. You should go for web interface of Linkstation Pro and simply set static IP address. It should be in same network and outside of DHCP pool. Make sure that you are login on buffalo and simply go for network. here you should simply disable DHCP to stay on particular IP address.

In this particular situation you should simply perform Mac Binding on Wireless device. Also you should place Wireless IP Addresses into Exclusion List. In order to add IP into Exclusion List perform following steps.
    • Expand the Scope and simply right click on Address Pool. From right click you should go for New Exclusion Range.
    • Now you will be able to assign IP address to router once you had added IP address into exclusion range of DHCP server.
    • Well you should take care of the thing that, single DHCP sever should be assigned to each subnet. By creating wired as well as wireless subnet can make the thing working for you. but still I am not having much idea to find out from which is DHCP request is coming from. If it is possible to block wired lan then you should simply block the same so that it can enter into Ethernet port.

For your information, you can also use couple of DHCP severs if it is not overlapping at all.

Looking at the situation i suggest you to assign IP address statically on the system and after that try to Ping. In case you are not able to ping static IP address then there is some issue associated with cable or switch. So what I recommend over here is that you should disconnect all and then connect them back again. Try to ping and check the status of connection.

I recommend following steps that you can use to assign Static IP address.
    1. The ID of your sure should be 192.168.0.11 and check out 255.255.255.0 into subnet mask.
    2. Default gateway and preferred DNS server should be 192.168.0.1 , 192.1168.0.1 respectively.
    3. Make sure that alternative DNS sever should be left empty.
    4. Once you have done above mentioned thing you should Click on Ok and close all Windows.
    5. After doing above mentioned steps Static IP should be assigned.

You should enter interface and range at the time of mentioning about DHCP sever. You should mentioned about Wireless interface, while enable DHCP. However there is no particular way to handle IP Address which are defined by IP Address Range which are assigned to wired client. Different subnets should be assigned for every single clients. Below mentioned things are essential while making a network design.Separate subnet should be made and assigned to VLANs and there should be DHCP Server like Windows 2003 Server. Dfficient authentication system should be implemented in order to stop access to wireless network.

Looking at the situation I am suspecting that there is an issue with DHCP. I recommend following steps assuming, you are able to authenticate through MAC address.
    • First of all unplug router, it should be connect system by using Ethernet cable and go through modem.
    • Click on Start button , type ‘cmd’ into Run and execute ‘IPCONFIG /RELEASE’ without quotes.
    • After that connect Netgear via modem and turn on router. Also connect computer with router as well.
    • Execute ‘IPCONFIG /ALL’ without quotes on command prompt.
    • You should launch browser and enter gateway IP address. By default login id and password should be admin.
    • Over here you should checkout that DHCP should be set as Internet protocol. Browse to status page and click on DHCP renew.