Thread: Network saturation by Netgear GS748Tv4

Network saturation by Netgear GS748Tv4

I recently bought a brand new Netgear GS748Tv4. Configured everything properly as required but i got the problem while running backups to an iscsi drive. The iscsi needs two port and the connection is to one server at a time only. When I start the backups, the entire network bandwidth gets allocated to the backup process due to which rest other network stops working or simply gets failed. It happens due to network congestion. I don’t want the switch to allocate the bandwidth to the iscsi during the backup and give the full priority to it. I want to set the same bandwidth priority to all the ports so that each ports get equal or balanced amount of connection without affecting one another. How can I set this thing?

Re: Network saturation by Netgear GS748Tv4

Did you try to take a look into the QoS settings?

It seems to me that the switch is allocating all available bandwidth to the backup process by default or as previously defined in iscsi. But I assume that you can tweak into the router’s settings page and manage the connection according to your needs. For that you must be very much familiar with the netgear configuration page. Otherwise you don’t be able to get the tweak option but you can ask for help from any professional.

The router keeps on running into bandwidth contention whenever you go up with the iscsi. The QOS settings are meant for this to manage the bandwidth so that your network won’t get affected. You can also set the Downstream and Upstream connections bandwidth depending upon your needs in router. But be accurate during this setup.

You should look for a QoS switch and possibly PoE capabilities. I don’t know what level switch you own now but as for a upper level switches I always prefer the HP ProCurve but it is too expensive. On the other hand you can get gigabit switches at $200-$300, but they will not have QoS or PoE capability. I don’t know about a thing regarding netgear switches. Your Netgear switch does not seem to have a QoS and PoE capabilities since it could lie in mid-range category

Quote Originally Posted by Himanii View Post
    I recently bought a brand new Netgear GS748Tv4. Configured everything properly as required but i got the problem while running backups to an iscsi drive. The iscsi needs two port and the connection is to one server at a time only. When I start the backups, the entire network bandwidth gets allocated to the backup process due to which rest other network stops working or simply gets failed. It happens due to network congestion. I don’t want the switch to allocate the bandwidth to the iscsi during the backup and give the full priority to it. I want to set the same bandwidth priority to all the ports so that each ports get equal or balanced amount of connection without affecting one another. How can I set this thing?

What kind of switch you own actually?

Is it an unmanaged switch or managed 100Mb/s switch?

If you get an expensive switch it will come with lot of added features but not all. Before buying a switch you have to carefully analyze it. If your Switch have QoS feature then it would be very much great. This is useful when there is a large network and many switches interconnected each other to form a network. Also it should be needed when there is a huge bandwidth passing through the network and you have to manage it by giving unique priority for traffic moving between 2 switches or 2 devices or between switch and device. Also you need good monitoring features in order to monitor and troubleshoot the network at a real-time.

You should get a "graph" solution to bandwidth to monitor where the bandwidth is going. I mean which device is using or allocated as more bandwidth. For that you can use either the Cacti or Zenoss. In my case I use both actually and I find Cacti is easier to setup but it has slight limitation about graphing pulled data. On the other side Zenoss is also excellent and cumbersome but still prefer Cacti more. You can download both from the official site because both are free to use. You will get a nice looking detailed graph. For example bandwidth usage during working hours. Cacti is best suitable for linksys, cisco, and netgear for instant and real-time statistics. Otherwise you should have a RRDTool for data graphing because it is open source.

I would really try those network monitoring applications in my Windows server in order to monitor the bandwidth being used by every other things connected to the same network. It could be a server, workstation, printer, switch or any router. The Graphical interface is very easy to understand. I will definitely try the Cacti first and see if it can work fine in my case. If anyone know different programs either paid or free apps for this, suggest it.