Thread: Does AVG involve fingerprinting like activities to collect data from users?

Does AVG involve fingerprinting like activities to collect data from users?

From what I have read in their privacy policies it appears to me that AVG people are following a very strict policies of collecting the users data. Almost appears like they are doing some kind of rigid activities to collect the data from the users. Don’t you all think so it is a kind of risky business? Especially considering the fact that they would be having almost all the data with them.

According to the AVG privacy policy they will require information about our PC, all their related devices, all types of files, and also programs that are running inside so that AVG can suggest some programs which might prove useful to you. Now mind you that programs can even be a third party programs.

If you are using AVG for the mobile phones then they require serial numbers of SIM cards, the phone and the service provider that you use. Enabling the anti theft feature will make them trace the most recent locations of the phone.

Other antivirus programs such as malwarebytes and avast don’t use such kind of policies to collect the users information then why do AVG have adopted to such kind of policies? That’s what I want to know? Please share your opinions on these, I am waiting for your response.

Re: Does AVG involve fingerprinting like activities to collect data from users?

See it may be their company policies that’s why they are following such kind of rules and if they are assuring that the users data won’t be compromised under any circumstances. Then what’s the reason to worry? I am quite sure they would use your data to enhance the protection, bring in more features and many other things.

That’s why I don’t think so there is any reason to worry about the same, they are doing it for your betterment. I am sure other antivirus programs like kaspersky, avast will also start with the same procedure soon.

Re: Does AVG involve fingerprinting like activities to collect data from users?

I am just surprised with the response of the above user. I think he isn’t worried whether he would be getting tracked or not? if you are giving your vital information to any service provider then you should be worried about your security. I don’t understand why do they need the serial number of the sim card or the phone for providing protection for the phone, their only task is to provide protection for the phone and not for myself. If they continue to do so then I won’t be going ahead with this AVG. I would be opting for some other antivirus programs like kaspersky, Avast. I am sure about that.