Thread: Windows 7: cannot connect to own folder - through network

Windows 7: cannot connect to own folder - through network

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. I can open all the folders on the hard disk. If I go to Network, select my own computer and double-click it, I can open it. That is the end of it. I cannot open any of the shared folders. The error message is "Windows cannot access \\my-share\my-folder".

I cannot access other computers on the network either; cannot even see what folders are shared. Same error message "Windows cannot access \\sharename". In the case of my own share, I can open and see what folders are shared. Other computers, I cannot even open them.

This is an one way problem. Other computer can see this computer and open shared folders.

I used the diagnosis function in Network trying to find problems and got a message saying "troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

All those computers I cannot open, I can access them through remote desktop by entering user name and password.

Other computers can access the shared folders which this computer have no access. This means the settings on the other computers are OK. It is this computer that is having problems.

I believe the problem is due to incorrect settings. But which settings? Any idea?

Re: Windows 7: cannot connect to own folder - through network

If you are using Windows Server on the network then you will need to ask the network admin to reconfigure your account and provide you access to those shared folder. It is required to setup a client computers account by obtaining a Network ID on windows server or else you cannot access anything on lan. Second if you are not using Windows server and you are on the lan to share files, you will need to re-share those folder one more time. Right click the folders and share them again. If possible check the permission alloted to shared folder. Allow full access to everyone.