Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 27-04-2012

Slow Data Transfer Speed on my laptop (DPM 2010)

Hello friends, I use DPM 2010 for backing up Windows XP and Windows 7 laptop. I am having many of the clients who are having a lot of data. Problem is that the synchronization of the data never comes to the end. There is one client who have transferred total 13 GB of data and that took about one hour to complete. Some of the times, it becomes worst when it take 4 hours to complete 1 GB transfer. It makes user very irritating and he left for the day by keeping the laptop at the home only. Can you guess that what is the thing that can cause the data transfer to be that slow? I cannot guess any reason for this and so I am posting this over here. If you can provide me some idea regarding this then I will be really thankful for that. I have tried all the things that I know about this but they are not able to get it solved. Now I am totally dependent on the suggestion from here.
Old 27-04-2012

Re: Slow Data Transfer Speed on my laptop (DPM 2010)

I would like to tell you that DPM honors the filesnottobackup key therefore it will be good for you to add an entry for Symantec directory. It can happen that you want certain directories or exclude files from the DPM backup. One way is to make this protection in each group for each server, which is an extremely expensive and weighty way.

You will just have to add a new value under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore

Symantec:REG_MULTI_SZ:%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Symantec\* /s

I don?t think that there is any other think that is causing this problem. So try with this and see if it works for you. If it also failed to get this solved then you can reply me back so that we could try to get this solved in some other possible way. Good luck!!!
Old 27-04-2012

If you check then you will find that the default value used for WaitInMSPerRequestForClientRead DWORD is 50 (32H). This indicates that the dpm agent will stop 50ms on each read cycle to position changed data. If you desire to boost backup speed at the cost of responsiveness then you will have to add this registry setting on client machine and decrease the value to 40 otherwise 30. Ask user if that reduces the machines responsiveness and tweak value as required.

Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\ClientProtection

Value : WaitInMSPerRequestForClientRead

Type: DWORD

Data : 50
Old 27-04-2012

I have faced this problem earlier but I managed to get this solved. I got the idea of the slowness of the backup when I looked to the anti-virus statistics. I found that the old Backup Exec software was storing the offline cache for all the files which were requiring backed up. File path of that is very long that windows is not even able to delete that. I made an exclusion for this folder: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Symantec and that solves my problem. I hope that it will be helpful for you.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , , ,