Thread: How WAN Link works on DPM 2010 client protection?

How WAN Link works on DPM 2010 client protection?

right now I am trying to implement DPM 2010 client protection for several laptops which are power by windows 7 and those laptops are located around the world. Those laptops are connected with central datacenter by means of 512 kbps - 2mbps WAN link. There is need of installing 3-5 centralized DPM server at datacenter so that it can have backup of all the laptops. Now I wanted to know whether usage of 0.512-1 mbps bandwidth to push all data on centralized server. As far as I know Microsoft has recommend that one should use bandwidth of 256Kbps to 512Kbps. Can you tell me what would be minimum bandwidth suitable in this particular situation? if I am not wrong it is not possible to client with centralized server. Can you help me out on this particular matter. Many thanks a in advance.

Re: How WAN Link works on DPM 2010 client protection?

As far as bandwidth is concerned there are additional things are needed to have support for it. it does not mean that it wont work rather it should be met in order to have reliable working. I can explain you be below mentioned eg. Consider 100Gig replication on 2mb link located at the 1000miles would take more time to transfer data as compared to transferring of data on same bandwidth at distance of 10miles.
    Hence if you are having laptop connected with link of 512Kbps over 500 miles and user is trying to transfer 50 gig compressed file which has been protected by means of DPM then offcorse it would take lots of time to completed. Also there would be increment in the time if client is moving away from server.
    The requirements should be met in order to have reliable replication between DPM and clients. If it does not happen then below mentioned issue might occur.

Replication wont get complete or it could be inconsistent.
    Client will not be able to connect.
    The sync process will not complete and restore process would take lots of time to get completed.

Hence you will need to contact Microsoft. They would look into the log file and figure out whether agent was not able to reach or synch process fail. In link is slow then we need to lower down the requirement and it is necessary to do the same so that you can have appropriate sync of data.

Replica can be called as copy of protected data in single volume. DPM protection agent would send selected data for protection on DPM server on protected computer. after that replica for every single member has been created on protection group. Creation of Replica usages most of resource and it consumes large amount of network resources. the network connection between DPM server and protected computers play major role. You will be able to get the speed of network by total time taken to transfer 1Gb of data on between protected computer to DPM server.

If you consider fast network such as gigabit connection then speed of replica creation can be figured out by disk speed of DPM server. You should use network bandwidth throttling to owner down the impact of network performance on network creation. Even you can create replica from tape to reduce network load. Or simply make use of any type of removable media to create initial replica. However entire process might be several hours longer on the basis of size of data which you are using. In case sync does not work the DPM try to continue sync from the point where it was left. In case network get down at the time of consistency check then DPM would simply continues with it after network gets up within 5 minute. In case network does not gets up within 5 minutes then that particular replica has been marked as inconsistent.