Thread: Can I dump storage pool data to the network share?

Can I dump storage pool data to the network share?

Well I come to know about that one will be able to replicate DPM storage pool data to another DPM server. I am having only one DPM server. So let me know if I can dump storage pool data to network drive. if you are having any answers on this particular matter then let me know as early as possible. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Can I dump storage pool data to the network share?

To get your requirement you should perform below mentioned steps.

First of all you have to run below mentioned command to get snapshots of all replica volume
    Code:
    DPMBACKUP –REPLICAS
    After that copy data from C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to network drive.

DpmBackup is used to backup all DPM database and you have to create shadow copies which can be used to backup all replicas. If you wanted back up of DPM database then simply execute DpmBackup.exe –db on the system. make sure that particular system should running an instance of SQL Server.
    Code:
       DpmBackup.exe [-db [-instanceName <name>] [-targetLocation <location>]] [-replicas] [-certificates]
    • [-db]
    • %DPMInstallLoca this option is used to backup on DPM server at by default location for backup.
    • [-instanceName] it is used to mentioned instance of SQL Server which is host by DPMDB. You can use when you are backing up the data from the remote instance of SQL sever.
    • [-targetLocation] you can this parameter to override default backup location as well as it points out the folder on local computer.
    • [-replicas] this particular parameter is used to create and mount shadow copies at %DPMInstallLocation%\Volu file location
    • [-certificates] it used to create public certificates at %DPMInstallLocation%\DPMBackup\Certificates

Hey thanks a lot for your prompt replies. On my DPM sever C: drive is having 100GB of space. storage pool is having 1.7TB of data. I used above mentioned steps and I got ‘....DpmBackup backs up the DPM database, and creates shadow copies..’ if I am not wrong, by using above mentioned command C: drive should be filled? Am I correct? I was bit disappointed as -targetLocation parameter was not allowing to access to network drive. so let me know if you are having any valuable comments to resolve the issue.

When you are going to execute dpmbackup.exe –replicas then shadow copies of replica volumes would stored at the same recovery point volumes. You can use the same as normal recovery points. Hence there will not be usage space on C drive so I don’t think there is any risk of executing dpmbackup.exe command.

By using above mentioned command I managed to get ‘Snapshot successful’. Now I am having a problem and I wanted to discuss with you.
    In ShadowCopy folder you will get four sub-folders which are.
    1. sub-folders
    2. File System
    3. Microsoft Exchange Writer
    4. Non VSS Datasource Writer.

The very first folder is empty and rest of all folders are having pointers. I am wondering that it is representing mounted partitions. I got an error message when I tried to open it. the error message was associated with denied permission. I could not get whether what went wrong? If you know anything to resolve above mentioned issue the let me know as early as possible.

You might get the issue when you are using Windows Explorer. You can browse to command prompt by going through subfolders. Following are the scenario when copying of data back to replica volume should happen.

In case you have lost storage pool. You have executed dpmsync -reallocatereplica command in order to create a new volume. However you did not require initial replica from protected server.

You will not be able to fix corruption of replia volume by using chskdsk command. In such situation you will need to reformat your volume.

On above mentioned both situations you should re seed replica volumes from network share rather than that of protected server. If you are having enough amount of empty disk space then you should go for secondary DPM server. You should go for maintenance of recover point for couple of days. Secondary DPM server would give you an option for Recover replica to primary DPM server.

Well Replica supposed to have current view of data after the last sync. The data before last sync is preserved by VSS shadow copies. Those data is stored into recovery point volume. You cannot copy shadow copies by using IE. You can use the same for original volume only. Why because sector of level copies are getting changed. Hence it is not applicable on copy of replica since both blocks are not similar by any mean. You can get this particular thing by using hardware mirror on disk into storage pool. It would help you to maintain VSS snapshots even though you have lost original disks into storage pool.