Thread: Can Dlink DIR-655 router be used as a access point or a bridge?

Can Dlink DIR-655 router be used as a access point or a bridge?

I was just wondering whether I can use this particular router as a access point or the bridge to connect it to another building? I was just thinking about it because this particular router has a good range as well as speed. So why not giving a try in both the process. I was wondering about the same. I know that both the process are quite different and would be difficult to do such complicated procedure. I need to know if any of you all have tried doing this particular stuff with your router or so then inform me accordingly over here. so that I can take some reference from you and work on it accordingly.

So any replies for this then do tell me about it. I am waiting for the response.

Re: Can Dlink DIR-655 router be used as a access point or a bridge?

Go to the settings option and inside it the network setting. Inside the network setting option there is a option called as "WAN Port Mode" option. Now let me tell you that you wont be able to view it in any mode. For that I would say you better go to the view option in your browser and in the page style view option select ‘no style’. Go to the Wan port mode option and make the necessary changes there. I hope that’s pretty clear to you. Anything else that you need to know about then please free feel to ask over here. i will help you with that.

Hey I have a very similar question to ask from here and it would be better if you can sort out the issue for me so what I am saying is I already have a Dlink DIR-655 router at my place and I am planning to buy one more. So if I go ahead and brought a new router can I use the existing one i.e. Dlink DIR-655 as a repeater? The main stairs and the middle floors does receives good signal strength but not the lower floors so I am planning to use the existing one in the lower floors so that they would get a good signal strength there as well. so is it ok if I put the Dlink DIR-655 in the lower floors or the basement and put it in bridge mode? Just wanted to say that I won’t be putting any Ethernet cables and all that stuff. A simple power cord would only be there. So what do you all have to say about this. please help me out with the same.

I don’t think so Dlink DIR-655 can act as a repeater it can only work as AP. If you want then you can use the same SSID as the host Wifi but you need to look that channels should be different. I know you are talking about connecting the existing router with the new one and then make it act as a wireless access point. See you can connect in the same network but using the different channels and also don’t use the wan ports instead you can use LAN port for the connection purpose. I hope its pretty much understandable for you. So do give a try and let me know if that was helpful for you or not.

I am staying at a hotel for a month and I have the same DIR-655 router.

Is there a way to bridge the hotels wifi with this router? The hotels wifi has an access code and it only works on 1 device (one person logged in) at a time.
    I want to connect to the router in my room so I can use in my laptop, ipod and playstation.